The Student Room Group

Tricky questions about 2024 application

I’m in y12 predicted 4a* in maths, further maths, physics and economics and am wondering:

Is it worth dropping physics if I hate it but can still do well in it? How much better is 4a* than 3a*

Also are these course combinations for uni good

LSE - maths with economics
UCL - maths with economics
ICL - economics, finance and data science
KCL - maths with management and finance
unknown last one

in my personal statement I will have a mixture of maths/economics content.
U can drop it after u apply and hear back if u rly need .

Trust me!!
Original post by stilk
I’m in y12 predicted 4a* in maths, further maths, physics and economics and am wondering:

Is it worth dropping physics if I hate it but can still do well in it? How much better is 4a* than 3a*

Also are these course combinations for uni good

LSE - maths with economics
UCL - maths with economics
ICL - economics, finance and data science
KCL - maths with management and finance
unknown last one

in my personal statement I will have a mixture of maths/economics content.

Yes if you dont enjoy it drop it. Universities make offers based on 3 subjects and look for the highest possible grades in them and taking a 4th puts that at risk. Do it before applying as once you have applied any offer a university makes is based on your application and changing it is breaking your contract with them and they would be entitled to withdreaw any offer made. In practice this isnt likely but dropping before takes that option away.

As far as your universities they are all very high risk and you could end up with no offers. Just because you have brilliant predictions doesnt guarantee you an offer. TSR is full of people who have applied to very high risk universities and got 5 rejection even with brilliant grades.

London universities are the main risk due to the number of students wanting to study there. Economics is one of the hottest subjects at the moment. Anyone applying to these universities for Economics risks ending up with 5 rejections. Whether you wish to do that only you can decide.

The sensible route is not to apply to more than 2 London universities and to look at very good provincial universities. Places like Bath and Exeter arre examples of very good universities that have high offer rates.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Yes if you dont enjoy it drop it. Universities make offers based on 3 subjects and look for the highest possible grades in them and taking a 4th puts that at risk. Do it before applying as once you have applied any offer a university makes is based on your application and changing it is breaking your contract with them and they would be entitled to withdreaw any offer made. In practice this isnt likely but dropping before takes that option away.

As far as your universities they are all very high risk and you could end up with no offers. Just because you have brilliant predictions doesnt guarantee you an offer. TSR is full of people who have applied to very high risk universities and got 5 rejection even with brilliant grades.

London universities are the main risk due to the number of students wanting to study there. Economics is one of the hottest subjects at the moment. Anyone applying to these universities for Economics risks ending up with 5 rejections. Whether you wish to do that only you can decide.

The sensible route is not to apply to more than 2 London universities and to look at very good provincial universities. Places like Bath and Exeter arre examples of very good universities that have high offer rates.

Personally I don't really want to go uni anyway so if I am going to go it has to be a very good one. Do you think the actual course combinations are good though. Like would one good PS cover all of those courses. I might drop physics but am scared that I'm losing some competitive edge just because I'm lazy.
Original post by stilk
Personally I don't really want to go uni anyway so if I am going to go it has to be a very good one. Do you think the actual course combinations are good though. Like would one good PS cover all of those courses. I might drop physics but am scared that I'm losing some competitive edge just because I'm lazy.

The actual subject combinations are a problem. The risk of all London universities is though.
(Original post by swanseajack1)The actual subject combinations are a problem. The risk of all London universities is though.

This is the kind of problem you face from another thread. If you dont want to go to university dont apply. This is happening to loads for Economcs with A*A*A or A*A*A* grades.

I applied to LSE ( on a whim ), UCL , Durham, Leeds and Edinburgh with A*A*AA in maths economics further maths and physics. LSE UCL and also Durham I know are very very high for economics so I’m not too surprised they said no and I knew at the time I applied I likely wouldn’t be offered a place but was a little surprised at the other too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending