The Student Room Group

Tricky question about 2024 application

I’m in y12 predicted 4a* in maths, further maths, physics and economics and am wondering:

Is it worth dropping physics if I hate it but can still do well in it? How much better is 4a* than 3a*

Also are these course combinations for uni good

LSE - maths with economics
UCL - maths with economics
ICL - economics, finance and data science
KCL - maths with management and finance
unknown last one

in my personal statement I will have a mixture of maths/economics content.
Original post by stilk
I’m in y12 predicted 4a* in maths, further maths, physics and economics and am wondering:

Is it worth dropping physics if I hate it but can still do well in it? How much better is 4a* than 3a*

Also are these course combinations for uni good

LSE - maths with economics
UCL - maths with economics
ICL - economics, finance and data science
KCL - maths with management and finance
unknown last one

in my personal statement I will have a mixture of maths/economics content.

Unis only require three A levels so it is fine to drop physics - you don't get bonus points for taking extra.

You are proposing four extremely competitive unis and you risk not getting any offers by doing so (everyone else will be applying with the same high predicted grades). Limit your choices to two London unis and three choices from the rest of the UK.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Do not apply for more than ONE of the London Unis you have listed.

They receive a ridiculous number of applications and, even with the required grades, your chances of an offer from any of them are slim. This is not because they are 'better' Unis - its simply because they are in London and too many people apply.

Make sure your other 4 choices are outside London - that way you might actually get some offers.
Bath, Birmingham. Manchester, Bristol, York, Warwick etc etc.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Do not apply for more than ONE of the London Unis you have listed.

They receive a ridiculous number of applications and, even with the required grades, your chances of an offer from any of them are slim. This is not because they are 'better' Unis - its simply because they are in London and too many people apply.

Make sure your other 4 choices are outside London - that way you might actually get some offers.
Bath, Birmingham. Manchester, Bristol, York, Warwick etc etc.

for me its all or nothing so I'm gonna apply for the best unis imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending