The Student Room Group

Simple ratio problem in A-Level Biology

Which set of answers (red or blue) is the correct set of values for the ratio:
msedge_8ixGBkvwts.png
my answer is the blue set but the mark scheme from this predicted paper I purchased gives the red set of results. I'm not sure who is correct. It would be a great help if someone can clarify this for me because I have an A-Level Biology exam coming up next Wednesday. =)
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by CoolGuyPawan
Which set of answers (red or blue) is the correct set of values for the ratio:
msedge_8ixGBkvwts.png
my answer is the blue set but the mark scheme from this predicted paper I purchased gives the red set of results. I'm not sure who is correct. It would be a great help if someone can clarify this for me because I have an A-Level Biology exam coming up next Wednesday. =)

I would say you are correct because purely by definition:
Ratio of final mass to initial mass = final mass/initial mass

What the marks scheme has done is initial mass/final mass, which I can definitely say is incorrect.
However, the marks scheme dictates what the right answer is, even if it's completely wrong, as well as what the marks will be. Unless the examiner spots the correct answer, you should go by the mark scheme.

Do note, I have not done or intend to do A Level Biology, so I have no idea of what the context of this question is for. However, from a mathematical point of view, you are correct.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I would say you are correct because purely by definition:
Ratio of final mass to initial mass = final mass/initial mass

What the marks scheme has done is initial mass/final mass, which I can definitely say is incorrect.
However, the marks scheme dictates what the right answer is, even if it's completely wrong, as well as what the marks will be. Unless the examiner spots the correct answer, you should go by the mark scheme.

Do note, I have not done or intend to do A Level Biology, so I have no idea of what the context of this question is for. However, from a mathematical point of view, you are correct.

Thanks for clarifying! I was making sure my definition of the "ratio of final mass to initial mass" is correct mathematically because I do know (from past experiences) that the mark schemes of these "predicted papers" made by people other than the exam board can be inaccurate whereas the real exam board mark schemes don't have these errors.
Reply 3
This one came with someone else recently @Student2011584 for Q8 in
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-74011-QP-JUN17.PDF
The mark scheme doesnt help but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmEPgYZhjOA&ab_channel=biologycarol
(~54 min) has the same interpretation as you / MindMax2000
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending