The Student Room Group

Science Gcse

Which science gcse was the easiest to learn in your option e.g. biology, human biology, Chemistry etc. And also how did you revise and how was it for you x
Original post by muffincakes12
Which science gcse was the easiest to learn in your option e.g. biology, human biology, Chemistry etc. And also how did you revise and how was it for you x

Physics. biology, then chemistry.
Having said that, I found chemistry the most interesting at GCSE.

Most of the material at this level is straight memorisation, and involves very simple and straightforward maths.
I used a lot of online quizzes and read through a lot of revision guides, which was kind of sub par.
What I wished I did a lot more of was past papers, especially under timed conditions.

On the other hand, science was a subject at GCSE that I found relatively manageable and "easy" i.e. I got As without trying too hard. This was very different for other people though.

i do triple science and find chemistry, then physics, then biology the easiest. chemistry and physics are more mathematical, problem solving and application of knowledge (moreso physics), whereas biology is more just learning facts and memorisation. i think i could probably do better in biology if it weren't for the fact i hate spending time just learning facts like that. but i'm still doing okay in it (about to sit my GCSEs and currently working at 8 in chemistry and physics and 7 in biology). in general i find the sciences quite easy, but i think this is something that varies from person to person so i can't really say how it'll be for you if youre currently selecting what sciences to do for gcse. but as a general rule of thumb, an observation i've made at school is it tends to be people that prefer creative subjects (english, history, art etc) that like biology better whereas people who like more logical subjects (maths etc) tend to prefer chem and/or physics. so if you're more creative i'd say go for biology, whereas if you like maths and prefer problem solving then you'd probably prefer chem or physics.

in terms of revsion techniques i mostly made notes and flashcards, spending more time on topics i found harder, and then do lots of past questions and papers (however leave more of the past papers for Y11 or if you have mocks in Y10 as there's limited supply). Physics & Maths Tutor is a website that's very good for science revision, as well as Seneca. Cognito and Freesciencelessons do good revision videos on youtube also. CGP revsion guides and practice booklets are also good.
(edited 11 months ago)

For me, chemistry then physics then biology. Biology always had the odd application to the question and different scenarios so found it a bit hard. The maths aspect for chem and physics was easy for me, although some concepts in physics were hard to grasp. Chem was the most interesting for me, easier concepts and straight forward to revise! My revision is a summary of the topic using the spec onto an A4 page and past papers all the way!

Quick Reply

Latest