The Student Room Group

feel like such a failure after my physics exam

my first a level physics exam (which was a while ago now) went utterly atrociously. ive been an A* student for over a year but found the exam unusually difficult and it really threw me off, even for the easier bits. i need 3 As to get into uni (and its a uni i really want to go to) but it feels like I'll probably be getting a B in physics. i already feel completely lost and im having constant nightmares about the exam/the next two exams. i never really considered that i'd get anything other than 3 As, neither have my parents or my teachers. its always been straight A*s, all 9s at gcse, but now i feel like ive utterly failed at the one thing i'm meant to be good at. should I even bother going to uni if i can work and work and still not be quite good enough?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
my first a level physics exam (which was a while ago now) went utterly atrociously. ive been an A* student for over a year but found the exam unusually difficult and it really threw me off, even for the easier bits. i need 3 As to get into uni (and its a uni i really want to go to) but it feels like I'll probably be getting a B in physics. i already feel completely lost and im having constant nightmares about the exam/the next two exams. i never really considered that i'd get anything other than 3 As, neither have my parents or my teachers. its always been straight A*s, all 9s at gcse, but now i feel like ive utterly failed at the one thing i'm meant to be good at. should I even bother going to uni if i can work and work and still not be quite good enough?

I’ve had a similar experience to you, but with further maths. The bottom line is, if you found it hard, most likely did everything else who sat the exam.

If you really think about, a harder exam is more likely to benefit the higher achievers, as they’re more likely to navigate through the exam more efficiently, and grade boundaries are likely to drop from people being thrown off. They have a set percentage that achieve each grade anyways. So keep your head high and focus on your next two exams.
Reply 2

Did you put in you all and do the best you could?
Reply 3
thank you, this is important to bear in mind

I’ve had a similar experience to you, but with further maths. The bottom line is, if you found it hard, most likely did everything else who sat the exam.

If you really think about, a harder exam is more likely to benefit the higher achievers, as they’re more likely to navigate through the exam more efficiently, and grade boundaries are likely to drop from people being thrown off. They have a set percentage that achieve each grade anyways. So keep your head high and focus on your next two exams.
Reply 4
Did you put in you all and do the best you could?

i suppose i couldn't have revised more than i did, although i made some very silly mistakes which frustrates me
Reply 5
i suppose i couldn't have revised more than i did, although i made some very silly mistakes which frustrates me

You have revised to an extent from the sounds of it so that's more than some other students might have done. Apart from that and the mistakes did you put some hard work into the exam?
Reply 6
You have revised to an extent from the sounds of it so that's more than some other students might have done. Apart from that and the mistakes did you put some hard work into the exam?

yes I'd say so. which makes it more frustrating, because it feels like i've pretty much done my 'best' but this still isn't good enough.
Reply 7
yes I'd say so. which makes it more frustrating, because it feels like i've pretty much done my 'best' but this still isn't good enough.

That's good like you've done all you can apart from a few issues like I know it's fustrating if you don't get what you have hoped for but you could think you have worked hard and put in effort so what more could you have done. Lifes about doing the best you can. Plus a lot of students will be feeling the same but and will have got the grades so realise they've had all this doubt for no reason.

Quick Reply

Latest