The Student Room Group

GCSE english speech

I’m super nervous about my speech, and I don’t even have a topic yet and it’s next week. My teacher told us to do world issues, but I don’t really know what to do because I’m also not passionate about anything really. I don’t have any sort of hobby or anything i support strongly/ i have a strong opinion on so idk what to do. I’m scared I’m going to end up embarrassing myself. I also have to answer questions at the end of my speech, and my teacher told us to make our friends ask us, but I’m not sure what kind of questions they are meant to be. I was going to do my speech on space exploration, but Idk what my opinion is, and I don’t know what questions can follow up. :frown:
Reply 1
Maybe your speech could be about the pros and cons of space exploration and you could balance different viewpoints before stating which opinion you most agree with in a conclusion at the end? Some ideas for this could be found here: https://netivist.org/debate/space-exploration-pros-and-cons

I don't know if this would apply at your school but in my class, people asked why that topic was chosen or why you thought it was important for people to know (you could say that it's an important debate because the funds could be used in other important sectors if you're against space exploration). Your friends could also possibly ask which sectors you think would deserve more funds if the money is taken away from space exploration or if there was anything that could change your mind.

You could also talk about what could happen in the future if space exploration were developed and talk about the positive or negative impacts e.g. solutions for current world problems could be found or damage could be done in space similarly to what has been done on Earth.

I understand how you feel as I was in that situation too before my Spoken Language assessment but I'm sure you'll do brilliantly so don't stress too much. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest