The Student Room Group

Why do we face embarrassment seeing other people in the same outfits?

I was at work today, we are allowed to wear our own clothing long as its casual but "sensible"

So a customer comes in and is wearing the exact same summer themed t-shirt, and I personally felt embarrassed, and I had to help them and I swear everything stopped me from finishing the transaction. Even the card machine was "slow".

I didn't say anything and neither did he, but it does draw the thought to why do we get embarrassed in situations like this?

Yet my worst was, when I first started this job in college, I pinched one of my little brothers T-shirts (2 year younger) as I had nothing, skate themed T, and literally this like 12 year old walked in with the exact same t-shirt that day, and I felt more of a prat than embarrassment lol.

Its a weird one, as in college sometimes a friend and I would just wear the same hoodies for a laugh, but once another friend wore a t-shirt what was similar to mine and he was embarrassed as hell but said its adorable and made a joke about it. Even our lecturer made a joke saying we are twins hah.

But yeah probably karma hit me today with my embarrassment but why does it? Especially as you can buy the same t-shirts and hoodies in many stores so its bound to be people have the same hoodies and t-shirts as you.
I'd say it's an age and/or maturity issue. As you age and mature in life, you really don't care.
(edited 10 months ago)
I’ve personally never been embarrassed by this and I’ve literally no clue why anybody would be. If I see someone wearing the same t shirt as me (for example) I’d probably just say something like “nice t shirt”.

I always thought this was more of a girl thing though? I remember all the girls at my school telling each other in a group chat from beforehand what they’d be wearing to the leavers’ ball, to make sure nobody turned up wearing the same thing as someone else as it would be embarrassing. Meanwhile my friend and I both wore the same suit with the same green tie (purely by coincidence) and thought it was pretty cool.

So I’d be interested to know what the thought process is behind the “embarrassment”.
Reply 3
I have never cared and nor do I know anybody that would say out loud if thy did.

In my circles we all dress the same anyway. I see people in the same tour t shirts all the time. Not arsed.
Can somewhat relate for example if I were going somewhere with my dad or brother and we were wearing a similar outfit then I’d change
This has never bothered me at all. Mind you I don't think I've ever seen anybody dressed the same as me, with the exception of in sixth form college there was a girl who used to wear the same jeans as me (they were really distinctive flared jeans with a zigzag pattern on them). I couldn't have cared less.
Imo little to do with the clothes and more linked to your self perception/worth

Someone wearing the same clothes as me would just mildly amuse me and I'd happily comment on it ' Ah, so you've been raiding the bins behind TKMaxx too?'

Quick Reply

Latest