The Student Room Group

Class presentation anxiety

I have a presentation i have to give to my class and I’m so anxious. I don’t like going to school, and this makes it so much worse. I’ve cried about it multiple times and I feel sick thinking about speaking in front of the class. What should i do? I have to do it for a grade. I’ve put it off so much that now I haven’t got enough time to prepare and all of it’s just freaking me out :frown:
Reply 1
I am sorry to hear that you're feeling anxious about your presentation. It's understandable to feel nervous about speaking in front of a class, as many people experience similar anxieties. Below are some suggestions to help you manage your anxiety and prepare for your presentation:

1. Challenge negative thoughts and replace them with positive affirmations. Remind yourself that you are capable and prepared. Focus on your strengths and past successes to boost your confidence. Visualize yourself giving a successful presentation and receiving positive feedback.
2. Practice deep breathing exercises or other relaxation techniques to help calm your nerves. Before your presentation, take a few minutes to focus on your breath, inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling slowly through your mouth. This can help reduce anxiety and promote a sense of calm.
3. Practice deep breathing exercises or other relaxation techniques to help calm your nerves. Before your presentation, take a few minutes to focus on your breath, inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling slowly through your mouth. This can help reduce anxiety and promote a sense of calm.
4. Talk to your teacher or classmates about your anxiety. They may be able to offer guidance, and encouragement, or even suggest accommodations that can alleviate some of your stress. Sharing your concerns can also help you feel less alone in this experience.
5. Practice your presentation multiple times to become more familiar with the content and build confidence. Rehearse in front of a mirror, record yourself, or ask a friend or family member to listen and provide feedback. Practicing will help you become more comfortable with the material and improve your delivery.
6. Break the presentation into smaller, manageable tasks. Start by outlining the main points you want to cover, then gradually work on each section. Breaking it down will make the task feel less overwhelming and help you focus on one aspect at a time.

Take it one step at a time, be kind to yourself, and remember that each presentation is an opportunity for growth. You have the ability to overcome this challenge and do well. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have a presentation i have to give to my class and I’m so anxious. I don’t like going to school, and this makes it so much worse. I’ve cried about it multiple times and I feel sick thinking about speaking in front of the class. What should i do? I have to do it for a grade. I’ve put it off so much that now I haven’t got enough time to prepare and all of it’s just freaking me out :frown:

Hi, if you haven’t done it yet - could you speak with the teacher and ask to do the presentation in front of just them and not the whole class?
Original post by Anonymous

I always found doing a dry run in front of my parents (usually Mum) really helped she would give me pointers and i do it until it was good.
Reply 4
stare at one person in the eye while speaking until they are uncomfortable to transfer your discomfort to them

Quick Reply

Latest