The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 3A (9PL0 3A) 16th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone got any areas of focus to begin with?
Reply 21
Someone help me work this out haha

(plus 2022 which I posted before)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 22
Original post by bloopbloopbloo
Helloo.
Got a question for this paper, how long do you all spend on the 12 markers?

@Evil Homer

I'd spend around 35 minutes MAX for the 12 markers in total. Its cause you can gain more marks in the 30 markers, so I try and take as short a time on the 12 markers.
Original post by Hhhhh987897
I’ve got a a sheet of all of the questions that have ever come up for paper 3, including the questions from the two sample papers. I’ll upload it sometime today.

Thanks for that :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 24
Does anyone know where I can get essay plans or us notes coz I’ve barely done anything I’m so stressed
Original post by Jjjyygfrecb
Does anyone know where I can get essay plans or us notes coz I’ve barely done anything I’m so stressed

Previously in this thread someone's uploaded an evidence bank :smile: I also have paper 1 and paper 2 evidence banks in case you need them still!

P1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RiVCa8Bh4p5U1EhHDThRBtDocrbqdrAjh500KPGHLc4/edit?usp=sharing
P2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cud_ZfIdwN4zJYlPA3srwkVNwfKw9e4OZMVR6VIE-J8/edit?usp=sharing
Anyone know what areas of comparison haven't been assessed?

Also presidents being imperial Vs Imperilled hasn't come up yet so i defo recommend planning a question like..

'Evaluate the view presidents have been imperial since 1993'
Reply 27
Original post by aspiringlawyerAL
Does anyone have a bank if possible paper 3 usa questions for 30 markers? It would be great to plan some ^^

2022 PAPER
Evaluate the view that the President is the most powerful branch of government rather than the Supreme Court or Congress (constitution + executive)
Evaluate the view that Congress has protected civil and constitutional rights more effectively than the Supreme Court.
Evaluate the view that interest groups are more effective than political parties at influencing the outcome of presidential elections.
Examine the differences in the checks and balances on the US Congress and the UK Parliament.
Examine the ways in which the methods used by US interest groups and UK pressure groups differ.
12 theory
Analyse how the US President could be considered to be less effective than the UK Prime Minister in achieving their legislative goals

2020 PAPER
Evaluate the view that the presidential power of persuasion is the most significant influence on the policies and ideas of political parties.
Evaluate the view that the constitutional system of checks and balances is an obstacle to effective government.
Evaluate the view that presidential appointments to the Supreme Court ensure it is a political body rather than a judicial one.
Examine how the powers of the US Congress and the UK Parliament are limited in different ways.
Examine the ways in which the roles of the US President and the UK Prime Minister are different.
12 - theory
Analyse how united the main political parties are in the USA and the UK.

Evaluate the view that US foreign policy is dominated as much by Congress as by the presidency.
Evaluate the view that the effective working of the US Constitution depends more on interest groups than the Supreme Court.
Evaluate the view that the procedures for electing US presidents and members of Congress are not fit for purpose.
Examine how interest groups in the USA are more effective at protecting civil rights than pressure groups in the UK.
Examine how devolution in the UK differs from federalism in the USA.
12 - theory
Analyse the different legislative powers of the UK Parliament and the US Congress.

Evaluate the view that the main factors affecting voting behaviour in Congress are the divisions within and between the political parties.
Evaluate the view that the growth in presidential power has led to a corresponding decline in federalism.
Evaluate the view that affirmative action has been more significant than minority participation in Congress in promoting racial equality
Examine the different natures of the US and UK Constitutions.
Examine the features of the US and UK Supreme Courts designed to ensure independence from political influence.
12 - theory
Analyse how the US Senate has greater power than the UK House of Lords.
Here are all of the questions for paper 3, including the two sample papers.
Original post by ALMO42
Anyone got any areas of focus to begin with?

Bruh just revise everything, u could have already started in the time u spent typing that question. No offence (full offence)
Does anyone know some good content creators (youtubers etc.) that have made some decent predictions so far? ofc I'm going to revise everything but there's so much content crammed into 1 paper that it can kind of get overwhelming, and I'd like to plan essays for things that haven't come up before
Reply 33
Alan History Nerd made videos about content that was not in advanced info last year for paper 1 and 2 and i think he did it accurately in my opinion. Politics Explained channel discusses specification details but i don't think he does USA. Alan History Nerd has videos on his USA playlist that are useful i think like 11 months ago he posted a vid about what Biden has done so far which I think will be useful for recent examples.

also midterm elections happened last year 2022 and papers are written a year before so that may be relevant something about either US elections in general or US congress.

imperial vs imperil presidency hasn't come up yet and it may be useful to plan it (i hope this comes up ngl).

US constitution has not also come up recently qs can be:
- originialism vs living constitution (30 marker)
- federalism in US vs devolution in UK (12 marker) or just the features of the consti in general, are they still relevant today. so, is federalism still relevant or nah? is separation of powers still effective/relevant or nah?

elections have not come up recently (30 marker) - this may be campaign finance (Super PACs and PACs), which factor influences it more in recent years (if it says US elections in general bring in midterms 2022 examples that would be good),

for the 12 markers, comparing parties like democrats vs labour is my personal prediction or what i want to come up
Original post by stud3nt2004
Does anyone know some good content creators (youtubers etc.) that have made some decent predictions so far? ofc I'm going to revise everything but there's so much content crammed into 1 paper that it can kind of get overwhelming, and I'd like to plan essays for things that haven't come up before
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by cabbage3232
Does anyone have any predictions???

unfortunately the US paper is the kind of paper where it is hard to predict what exactly will come up. unlike the other papers, the content is small and they tend to follow no patterns. my best piece of advice is to just revise as much as you can, but try and avoid stuff that came up last year.
Original post by myanchovies
unfortunately the US paper is the kind of paper where it is hard to predict what exactly will come up. unlike the other papers, the content is small and they tend to follow no patterns. my best piece of advice is to just revise as much as you can, but try and avoid stuff that came up last year.

so no one has any idea what could quite possibly come up?
Reply 36
I think based off the last 2 papers there was nothing on the Supreme court, devolution or pressure groups

SO US politics could involve the Supreme court, maybe federalism and interest groups

Original post by tteper13502
so no one has any idea what could quite possibly come up?
Original post by finnstyles
I think based off the last 2 papers there was nothing on the Supreme court, devolution or pressure groups

SO US politics could involve the Supreme court, maybe federalism and interest groups

swear interest groups was last year tho
Reply 38
Original post by tteper13502
swear interest groups was last year tho

Oh yeah youre right. 2 questions too!
This is great thanks so much! Alan History Nerd made videos for the other two papers, so I'm holding out hope that he'll make one for paper 3. Originalism vs. Living constitution would be an amazing essay for me personally

Original post by maidachloe
Alan History Nerd made videos about content that was not in advanced info last year for paper 1 and 2 and i think he did it accurately in my opinion. Politics Explained channel discusses specification details but i don't think he does USA. Alan History Nerd has videos on his USA playlist that are useful i think like 11 months ago he posted a vid about what Biden has done so far which I think will be useful for recent examples.

also midterm elections happened last year 2022 and papers are written a year before so that may be relevant something about either US elections in general or US congress.

imperial vs imperil presidency hasn't come up yet and it may be useful to plan it (i hope this comes up ngl).

US constitution has not also come up recently qs can be:
- originialism vs living constitution (30 marker)
- federalism in US vs devolution in UK (12 marker) or just the features of the consti in general, are they still relevant today. so, is federalism still relevant or nah? is separation of powers still effective/relevant or nah?

elections have not come up recently (30 marker) - this may be campaign finance (Super PACs and PACs), which factor influences it more in recent years (if it says US elections in general bring in midterms 2022 examples that would be good),

for the 12 markers, comparing parties like democrats vs labour is my personal prediction or what i want to come up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending