The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Politics Paper 3A (9PL0 3A) 16th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Does anyone think that there could be a question focused on Invisible Primaries? I'm struggling to think of what a question on this topic would look like.
Original post by Badoobee
Does anyone think that there could be a question focused on Invisible Primaries? I'm struggling to think of what a question on this topic would look like.

i thought about this too but i dont think so, elections came up last year with mentions of parties and pressure groups so i think that would have covered the invisible primary.
i do think campaign fiance could come up but i think that might be a general question about the influence of money in US politics? (again i have no idea and this could be completly the wrong thing)
Reply 82
Any predictions??
Reply 83
they're basically impossible to predict cuz they always merge the topics together :frown:
Reply 84
Original post by bloopbloopbloo
1: living vs originalism
2: activism vs restraint
3: power of SC alone vs party influence on SC, maybe, you could bring in Clarence Thomas being in cahoots with a republican mega-donor and party allegiances shown through cases or whatever

for activism v restraint what would you write about?
Reply 85
Original post by tsrtsrtsrt
they're basically impossible to predict cuz they always merge the topics together :frown:

sooo true : ( - am hoping its a nice paper!
Original post by tsrtsrtsrt

my teacher said apparently last year all the teachers complained to the exam board that they try and put too many factors/topics into one question so maybe they'll be nicer this year and ask more straightforward questions? hopefully anyways bc when i was looking at previous questions i was like nah theres no way id be able to answer half of these lol
Does anyone have an possible 12 markers for comparison that hasn't come up yet? If not, totally fine ^^
Reply 88
Original post by ellar1234567
my teacher said apparently last year all the teachers complained to the exam board that they try and put too many factors/topics into one question so maybe they'll be nicer this year and ask more straightforward questions? hopefully anyways bc when i was looking at previous questions i was like nah theres no way id be able to answer half of these lol

No same 😂😂 praying they don’t do multi factor questions this year, they haven’t for paper 1 and 2 so maybe
Reply 89
Do you think they could ask on president vs congress on foreign policy again?
Reply 90
Original post by mollyg01
No same 😂😂 praying they don’t do multi factor questions this year, they haven’t for paper 1 and 2 so maybe

According to the 2022 updates, it says:

'Examiners reserve the right to ask questions which draw on more than one area of the specified content for a particular unit. Where questions draw on comparisons/connections between different areas of the unit content, examiners will ensure these connections are reasonable and fair, and not contrived.'

And:

'In contrast to the more open-ended question above, examiners may set a question which asks students to directly compare different factors. E.g., Evaluate the view that election outcomes are influenced more by factor X than factor Y. If this type of question is used, examiners will ensure that the stated factors form a clear debate for the issue highlighted in the question.'

Source: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/news-policy/subject-updates/government-and-politics/new-mock-papers-for-a-level-politics.html
Reply 91
Do you think they could ask 'evaluate the view that the case for reform of the electoral college has now been established?'
Original post by 3222227
Do you think they could ask 'evaluate the view that the case for reform of the electoral college has now been established?'

I think they may ask a question on reforming campaign finance or something/ or is campaign finance the biggest determinant for a candidates success in elections
Reply 93
Reply 94
I think a prediction could be

Evaluate the view that it is the Supreme Court, more than Congress which protects rights in the USA
Reply 95
Original post by finnstyles
I think a prediction could be

Evaluate the view that it is the Supreme Court, more than Congress which protects rights in the USA

That was 2022 - very unlikely
Reply 96
Based on the topic tracker: https://www.studypolitics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Topic-Tracker-Edexcel-A-Level.pdf

Constitution didn't come up at all last year, so its likely this will come up. Probably evaluating/federalism?
There was nothing on the functions of congress - so maybe a question on how well congress fulfils its functions, or a comparative question on how each house fulfils its functions (like paper 2)
There's not been anything on foreign policy in years, so a good foreign policy question would be nice, especially with all the stuff Biden has done.
Nothing on the appointment process/public policy last year - I'd predict appointment process as a 12 marker, and public policy could be a thirty marker.
Everything in democracy + participation came up except debates, so many a debating question (Funding probably, or a question that focuses on the divisions within the party since those haven't come up/atleast not as a 30 marker)
Reply 97
Original post by Faz6786
Based on the topic tracker: https://www.studypolitics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Topic-Tracker-Edexcel-A-Level.pdf

Constitution didn't come up at all last year, so its likely this will come up. Probably evaluating/federalism?
There was nothing on the functions of congress - so maybe a question on how well congress fulfils its functions, or a comparative question on how each house fulfils its functions (like paper 2)
There's not been anything on foreign policy in years, so a good foreign policy question would be nice, especially with all the stuff Biden has done.
Nothing on the appointment process/public policy last year - I'd predict appointment process as a 12 marker, and public policy could be a thirty marker.
Everything in democracy + participation came up except debates, so many a debating question (Funding probably, or a question that focuses on the divisions within the party since those haven't come up/atleast not as a 30 marker)

Thanks so much!

How do you think they'd structure a foreign policy question?
Reply 98
Original post by 3222227
Thanks so much!

How do you think they'd structure a foreign policy question?

Most likely to be comparative between congress and president, in 2019 it was 'Evaluate the view that foreign policy is dominated as much by congress as by the presidency', so if it came up again I'd presume something along the lines of 'Evaluate the view that the president, not Congress, controls foreign policy', although it could be more holistic as a factor, embedded in a question like roles of president/imperial/imperilled president
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 99
Original post by Faz6786

Also, what is public policy again? Eek

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending