The Student Room Group

What do I do about University???

Hello all! I will be applying to university soon and I'm honestly terrified. I am under the impression that whatever I choose is what I'll do for the rest of my life, despite actively knowing I can change career anytime.

I am under a lot of pressure from my parents to put more effort into my uni search, but honestly, I don't have the motivation to do anything. I am tired of living life like it's a necessity, rather than something I want to do.

My dream university and course is the Games Design Art course at Falmouth Uni. However, it's a 7-hour drive away meaning I would have to live on campus. I've never stayed away from home for longer than a week on residential trips and I was laughed at by my parents for wanting to go that far "for the adventure".

I recently realised in counselling that my entire existence is dictated by my parents, and I suppress a lot of my stims and tics (AuDHD) so I don't annoy my parents, and didn't really have any strong emotions. I haven't trusted my parents for years and I want to leave and go low contact, but at the same time I still love them and I don't want to lose them.

Also, going to Falmouth would put a strain on my relationship. We've been dating for just over 2 years now, but because of how our timetables line up I don't see them very much anymore.

If anyone has any advice or support for what I do about Uni or advice on how to deal w my family's wishes versus my own, any will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post, here's a potato 🥔
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello all! I will be applying to university soon and I'm honestly terrified. I am under the impression that whatever I choose is what I'll do for the rest of my life, despite actively knowing I can change career anytime.

I am under a lot of pressure from my parents to put more effort into my uni search, but honestly, I don't have the motivation to do anything. I am tired of living life like it's a necessity, rather than something I want to do.

My dream university and course is the Games Design Art course at Falmouth Uni. However, it's a 7-hour drive away meaning I would have to live on campus. I've never stayed away from home for longer than a week on residential trips and I was laughed at by my parents for wanting to go that far "for the adventure".

I recently realised in counselling that my entire existence is dictated by my parents, and I suppress a lot of my stims and tics (AuDHD) so I don't annoy my parents, and didn't really have any strong emotions. I haven't trusted my parents for years and I want to leave and go low contact, but at the same time I still love them and I don't want to lose them.

Also, going to Falmouth would put a strain on my relationship. We've been dating for just over 2 years now, but because of how our timetables line up I don't see them very much anymore.

If anyone has any advice or support for what I do about Uni or advice on how to deal w my family's wishes versus my own, any will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post, here's a potato 🥔

If i'm being honest i know exactly how you feel, what i would say is talk to your parents and compromise, ask if you can apply to you dream uni as well as some close by to where you like, the university i want to go to is also 7 hours away and this helped me smooth things over with my family but i did make it clear that if i do get into my dream uni i will be going, i did get some backlash from it but at the end on the day you are the one taking the course. when it comes to low contact its not like your cutting your parents off, they are still in your life you can always adjust as time goes by, you can slowly build up to more contact or cut the off it is entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable with. With the relationship, log distance is a thing and so are holidays and half term you will see each other, you can call, facetime. since its been 2 years there must be great trust which would make being long distance easier and its not like your gone forever, it 4/5 years. I know its hard trust me i understand but you need to do whats best for you cause at the end of the day its ur life which is on the line.
I apologise if i didn't help and for my English its my third language so i find it slightly difficult.
you still have time but so you can research more.

Quick Reply

Latest