The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology Conversion at OU (F92)

Hi,*

As an international student, who is going to graduate with Honours at OU, I would like to be enrolled in the course in subject.

Since I am not from the UK, I wonder about this MSc course. That is, when I finish I will have a first step eligible for BPS accreditation like an undergraduate but it is a Master course...

In other words, to have the skills required to be a psychologist, apprenticeship a part, what would I need further to be a counsellor?

Moreover, I would like to know as much as possible about this course - other than what it is mentioned in the OU website -* and especially the first module...

It will cost about 5000 pounds for International students like me and I would evaluate it at best..

A further point is the good knowledge of English (of course), but I wonder if all sources* (except tutorials) are provided with transcripts, etc..

Finally, for students who have been counted as a credit-transfer and have done only the 3rd year modules, what is usually the grade/mark required to get at least* a 2:2 grade at the degree?

Thank you in advance for your answers...
@Umby75

Hello! There are several Universities which have fully accredited MSc Psychology programs, the fact they are accredited with the BPS can be seen as a badge of quality of sorts. There is the Open University and also Arden University who offer distance learning programs, the latter also has blended learning options.

To be a qualified Psychologist in the UK you need to have done doctorate level study; this might be in Educational Psychology, Clinical etc depending on the area you want to go into. If you went down the counselling route it might be best doing a counselling specific route.

As a general rule of thumb, before you pick a University, check their QAA report and their Teaching Excellence Framework report - both readily available online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Hi Marc,

Many thanks for your reply.

I signed up at OU because of its history and experience in distance learning. Moreover, two years ago, the platform OpenLearn was useful for me to get a good preparation for the course.

I skimmed about the two documents you suggested to me, and it looks like there is not much difference between the two universities which offer online courses.
In Arden's it is meant as a 1 year full-time course and you have to pay for the whole course (almost 12.000£).

When I asked about the postgraduate course, it seemed strange - from an outside standpoint - as you get a qualification like an undergraduate degree level albeit awarded by BPS..
At this point, maybe it could be more convenient to ask for credit-transfer and doing the remaining modules for an undergraduate degree in Psychology and Counselling with BPS accreditation…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending