The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology Conversion Online - Which Uni?!

Does anyone have any pros or cons to universities that run this course. Arden's description of the course captures me the most but I'm concerned its not ranked very well as a uni. Should I worry about this? Does anyone have any other recommendations?
Reply 1
I have just applied for the OU MSc Psychology (Conversion). I had initially applied for the Arden one but honestly just didn't feel totally sure about it, so I signed up for the Open Uni instead. I did my BA with them a decade ago and the support and organisation was incredible. I now feel really happy with my decision... if a little panicked about what lies ahead!
Original post by Hannah_89
Does anyone have any pros or cons to universities that run this course. Arden's description of the course captures me the most but I'm concerned its not ranked very well as a uni. Should I worry about this? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

@Hannah_89
Hi Hannah, I did my MSc Psychology conversion at Arden, and I have worked in F.E/H.E for over 10 years so I know the sector well. Regardless of where you study if the course is approved by the British Psychological Society then the modules will be pretty much the same. Arden has the best virtual learning environment I have come across working in the sector - they also have the option to do the course blended at some of the sites too; sites include London, Birmingham, and Manchester.

For an unbiased opinion, check out Arden's report with the QAA ( a bit like Ofsted) and also their Teaching Excellence Framework Report (both readily available online).

If you need any advice about the course contents don't hesitate to ask

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Based on my experience at Arden, I would not recommend this university to anyone. Few friends are studying here as well, but they have different degrees and are in the same situation as I am. There is no support for students, the tutors are very low in quality. I personally will switch to any other university for the next year since some of the students quit the degree. Make sure you check them out before starting a degree with them.
Reply 4
Original post by MrsHicks
I have just applied for the OU MSc Psychology (Conversion). I had initially applied for the Arden one but honestly just didn't feel totally sure about it, so I signed up for the Open Uni instead. I did my BA with them a decade ago and the support and organisation was incredible. I now feel really happy with my decision... if a little panicked about what lies ahead!

I feel exactly the same. I have applied but now not sure and I'm looking at so many other universities and just can't find one I'm happy with! I will look into the open uni. X
Reply 5
Does anyone have opinions on Portsmouth? Or Leeds Beckett. Reading reviews isn't getting me anywhere as they all sound as bad as each other!
Reply 6

I felt the exact same about Arden which is why I didn't choose it! I'm doing it at the University of Liverpool because I really liked the course but it was very expensive - £16,000 (£14,000 with a scholarship!) but I really took time to look at the course and how I would be assessed and liked it. They also give the option to pay monthly instalments which allows me to self-fund if I wanted but I got student finance to help.

I got an offer from Manchester Met as well - the course was also good but chose Liverpool instead. But other universities just didn't spark my interest. I would definitely recommend the Open University as well, I have heard good things about it through friends , who are studying other subjects. Loved Glasgow also but also expensive, £15,000, but such a good course! I have also heard good things about Brunel as well.

Didn't really like Derby or Wolverhampton and just ruled them out also.
Original post by nishadea
Loved Glasgow also but also expensive, £15,000, but such a good course! I have also heard good things about Brunel as well.

Didn't really like Derby or Wolverhampton and just ruled them out also.

Hi there,
I am looking for an online conversion course and Glasgow is on my bucket list, as well as Exeter, since those are BPS accredited and well ranked. Do you have any insights about Exeter? (And thank you for statement on Glagow's programme)
Reply 8
Original post by cat-the-kitty
Hi there,
I am looking for an online conversion course and Glasgow is on my bucket list, as well as Exeter, since those are BPS accredited and well ranked. Do you have any insights about Exeter? (And thank you for statement on Glagow's programme)

Hey there! Both of them are great! I really loved both of the courses at Glasgow and Exeter, but I didn't have a 2:1 and my experience didn't make up for this. I've always wanted to go to a top university so I chose Liverpool and it was a plus that I found the modules interesting and loved how they assessed you. I know everyone says it doesn't matter where you do the conversion and that may be true, but if I had my way, I would have gone with Glasgow, go with either of them, they are both great courses and the modules are really interesting!

I would just make sure you could pay the shortfall as these courses are very expensive and well over the loan that Student Finance would provide.
(edited 8 months ago)
Does anyone have opinions on Portsmouth? Or Leeds Beckett. Reading reviews isn't getting me anywhere as they all sound as bad as each other!

@Hannah_89
I also studied at Leeds Beckett and their student support were very helpful. Their education department is particularly great

Marc
Reply 10

If ranking is important, I just noticed that Stirling is #2 in Scotland and #10 in UK. Seems to be very strong and forward thinking in areas of Psychology. Think they do online but only starts in September (boo)
Original post by 'sMe
If ranking is important, I just noticed that Stirling is #2 in Scotland and #10 in UK. Seems to be very strong and forward thinking in areas of Psychology. Think they do online but only starts in September (boo)

@'sMe
I've worked in the academic world for over 10 years and no one has ever asked where I got my quals (BA Hons, MSc, PGCE, PGC SENDco) from, it really doesn't matter as long as the course is fully accredited with the British Psychological Society. It is true that a larger institution may have more opportunities for volunteering etc due to its size and its length of establishment

Marc
Original post by student12340
Based on my experience at Arden, I would not recommend this university to anyone. Few friends are studying here as well, but they have different degrees and are in the same situation as I am. There is no support for students, the tutors are very low in quality. I personally will switch to any other university for the next year since some of the students quit the degree. Make sure you check them out before starting a degree with them.

Hello @student12340, can you elaborate a bit more on your experience with Arden please? I wanted to apply for the MSc Psychology course, but I am now a bit hesitant to do so...

Quick Reply

Latest