The Student Room Group

feeling depressed about a levels

i have genuinely messed up my a levels and i know some people are going to say you won't know until you get your results but i can feel it deep down, i have 5 exams left to do and i feel so demotivated because it's honestly too late to turn my grades around, especially as these are the harder

i've tried to put effort in and but i left a lot for last minute, despite that i was doing well at home like with content anf past papers, i was okay with my grades (getting Bs) and how i turned it around from C/Ds, but i don't know the pressure of being the actual exam or not made me do so bad

long story short, i screwed up the levels i have done so far despite all the work ive put in and my results aren't going to reflect that, hoesntly i'll be lucky with even getting a C afer todays exam which has totally crushed me, i have two more exams this week and i don't know how im possibly going to finish revison anymore

i really wanted to do well, get good grades and go to the university i really wanted, but now i have ruined my chances and i dont even think i could afford resits, my family are quite poor i wanted to do well to help them out,

i would've liked to finish my degree as soon as possible and get a decent job, but now i can't help feel like i have totally failed since grades are quite important at the end in determining what i can do of the day regardless

im sorry for the long depressing rant, i feel so hopeless and can't bring myself to revise or even try anymore, i've just been crying in my room and needed to vent, the future isn't looking too good so im stressed and overwhelmed at the moment, i just wanted to help my family out some way but i can't even do that

i tried not to let a levels get to me but i can't deal with it at all right now, what are my options if i fail my exams i can't even bring myself to think about opening my results, i hate this feeling so much
Reply 1
the best thing you can do is keep trying for your next exams, even if you think you didn't do well in the previous ones. if you don't get the score you hoped for you can always try looking in clearing if you are really hoping on going to uni this year. or maybe look if there is a foundation course available for the course you want to do?
Reply 2
Hello, Sorry you don't feel your exams have gone too well, all you can do know however is try as best you can for the last ones, there is no point in giving up now.
If you don't get the results you want in August you can choose to go through clearing, you'll probably be surprised by some of the courses on it or maybe take a gap year in which you can retake your exams next year if you had a particular uni/ course in mind that needed higher grades, In this gap year you can also maybe get a part time job whilst revising for retakes which you could use to help your family financially and help you pay for resit exams. Don't feel to stressed, we are all on our own paths and if you don't get what you want taking a year out may even be beneficial for you to step away from academic stress and pressure.
Take breaks, go for walks and remember to reward yourself after each exam so they don't feel like too much of a chore.
Hopefully the rests of your exams go well, don't give up now and I'm sure you'll surprise yourself. Remember you are not alone in feeling this way and I hope you feel better soon :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
i have genuinely messed up my a levels and i know some people are going to say you won't know until you get your results but i can feel it deep down, i have 5 exams left to do and i feel so demotivated because it's honestly too late to turn my grades around, especially as these are the harder

i've tried to put effort in and but i left a lot for last minute, despite that i was doing well at home like with content anf past papers, i was okay with my grades (getting Bs) and how i turned it around from C/Ds, but i don't know the pressure of being the actual exam or not made me do so bad

long story short, i screwed up the levels i have done so far despite all the work ive put in and my results aren't going to reflect that, hoesntly i'll be lucky with even getting a C afer todays exam which has totally crushed me, i have two more exams this week and i don't know how im possibly going to finish revison anymore

i really wanted to do well, get good grades and go to the university i really wanted, but now i have ruined my chances and i dont even think i could afford resits, my family are quite poor i wanted to do well to help them out,

i would've liked to finish my degree as soon as possible and get a decent job, but now i can't help feel like i have totally failed since grades are quite important at the end in determining what i can do of the day regardless

im sorry for the long depressing rant, i feel so hopeless and can't bring myself to revise or even try anymore, i've just been crying in my room and needed to vent, the future isn't looking too good so im stressed and overwhelmed at the moment, i just wanted to help my family out some way but i can't even do that

i tried not to let a levels get to me but i can't deal with it at all right now, what are my options if i fail my exams i can't even bring myself to think about opening my results, i hate this feeling so much

You've put in effort, that's what matters, there's loads of options even if you didn't get the right grade you wanted plus you might just be overthinking it and might have passed anyway. If you didn't try your fully best with this exam, do it with the others and you'll be fine.
I can understand how you feel about your exams and how stressful it can be. You are not alone in feeling this way and there are things you can do to cope better.

First of all, I want to acknowledge that you have tried to put effort in and improve your grades. That shows that you care about your education and your future. You should be proud of yourself for that.

Secondly, I want to remind you that your grades are not the only thing that define you or your worth. You have other qualities and skills that make you unique and valuable. You also have other goals and dreams that you can pursue regardless of your exam results.

Remember, you might as well try as hard you can this cycle so you gain the experience for resists if you decide to do them
Reply 5
If you want to resit your a levels, you can either do a resit year were you go to school like normal and be in the same lessons as the year below you, or you can do your revision at home and just come in to school to do your exams. This will depend on your school though, contact them if you are able to resit your exams, they will tell you if that’s fine and you’ll choose from the 2 options above, not all schools will allow you to retake with them, therefore you will have to resit your exams as a private candidate, this will mean you pay to resit each subject in a private exam centre and just come in to complete those exams(it costs roughly £350 per subject, but don’t be out of by that price as it is for your future and you could get a part time job from September to end of December to pay it off, leaving the rest of the year to really revise for your exams).

Please keep up, sometimes you have to fail to learn a valuable lesson, this may be better for you in the long term, repeating the year is a serious option please consider it, keep your head high and aim for 3A*s for your repeat exams, I’m in a similar situation so can relate if you want to speak to me on here.
5 exams is more than half of your total exams. you can definitely turn it around or at least turn a tsunami into waves

Quick Reply

Latest