The Student Room Group

Need help on a trig Q

Prove that co3x / sinx + sin3x / cosx = 2cot2x

I looked at the mark scheme but I don't understand the 1st two steps:
(cos3xcosx + sin3x) / sinxcosx =
cos(3x-x)/sinxcosx =

Can someone please explain to me what they're doing in the 1st 2 steps? I thought the 1st step was multiplying by sinx and cosx so that the denominators are both sinxcosx but the markscheme doesn't show it being multiplied by sinx only cosx.

Thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by random_account
Prove that co3x / sinx + sin3x / cosx = 2cot2x

I looked at the mark scheme but I don't understand the 1st two steps:
(cos3xcosx + sin3x) / sinxcosx =
cos(3x-x)/sinxcosx =

Can someone please explain to me what they're doing in the 1st 2 steps? I thought the 1st step was multiplying by sinx and cosx so that the denominators are both sinxcosx but the markscheme doesn't show it being multiplied by sinx only cosx.

Thankyou

Must be a typo and they missed off the sin(x) on line 1 as the additive "identity" on line 2 assumes its there.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Must be a typo and they missed off the sin(x) on line 1 as the additive "identity" on line 2 assumes its there.

Yh it might be but even then I don't understand the 2nd step. Would you mind explaining it to me? Thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by random_account
Yh it might be but even then I don't understand the 2nd step. Would you mind explaining it to me? Thankyou :biggrin:

Its the additive identity which you should have come across so
cos(A-B) = cos(A)cos(B)+sin(A)sin(B)

Tbh, you need to have a reasonable idea of what youre trying to do, so working back from the right hand side youre trying to get roughly
cos(2x) / sin(2x)
and this is done by having sin(x)cos(x) on the denominator which is ~sin(2x) and on the numerator you want to combine trig(3x) and trig(x) terms to get a cos(2x), and youd need to do an identity for cos(3x-x) to get this.
Reply 4
cos(3x) -> cos(2x + x)
sin(3x) -> sin(2x+x)

cos(2x+x) = cos(2x)cos(x) - sin(2x)sin(x)
sin(2x+x) = sin(2x)cos(x) + cos(2x)sin(x)

times sin(2x+x) by sin x, times cos(2x+x) by cos x, so that we can combine it into a single fraction.

now we have (cos(2x)cos^2x - sin(2x)sin(x)cos(x) + sin(2x)sin(x)cos(x) + cos(2x)sin^2x) / cos(x)sin(x)

the sin(2x)sin(x)cos(x) cancels out as we have a - then a +

this becomes just (cos(2x)cos^2x + cos(2x)sin^2x) / cos(x)sin(x)

factor out cos(2x) , becomes cos(2x)(cos^2x+sin^2x) / cos(x)sin(x)

cos^2x + sin^2x = 1

cos(2x) / cos(x)sin(x), cos(x)sin(x) = 1/2sin(2x)

this becomes 2cos(2x)/sin(2x) == 2cot2x
Reply 5
Original post by Adamlewry

Best not to post full solutions, and the approach started in the OP is simpler/more direct

Quick Reply

Latest