The Student Room Group

how to make money during uni

so im moving across the country for uni and wanted to get a job but im not sure how to go about it. what kinds of jobs do uni students do usually? and how should i start finding them. ideally id like something remote but again dont know much about the process.
Call centres are pretty much constantly recruiting and many do have WFH/remote work. The work itself is crap but, what can you do...

Otherwise stuff like retail, food services, other customer service oriented roles. Sometimes out of term seasonal and/or tourism based work too.

There may also be one off things like working as an ambassador during a uni open day, manning phones for your uni's alumni funding drives, or supporting admin during matriculation week, which are uni specific.
Original post by Anonymous
so im moving across the country for uni and wanted to get a job but im not sure how to go about it. what kinds of jobs do uni students do usually? and how should i start finding them. ideally id like something remote but again dont know much about the process.

Hi,
Usually you would need to apply to jobs online as soon as you can as there will be a lot of other students looking to work around the university, this has it's benefits though as employers are more flexible to your study timetable and term times. A lot of people tend to work for the local supermarkets, cafes and restaurants who will likely be looking to hire as their staff are on a rotation with people starting and finishing with university. I recommend you take a look online to see what places are hiring around your university as majority of applications will be on there.
If your university has it, you can also look at their job boards as there may be places for you to work with the university/ on campus. The university of Kent for example, also offers support with tailoring your cv ect through the careers/ employability service and the work-study scheme which can assist you in your job search whilst you study by offering a lot of useful advice.
Hope this helps!
- Malek
University of Kent Rep

Hey,

As an international student I have been in the same position as you and was looking for some ways to make some extra money while at uni. The best choice for me was a student ambassador job at university. The role is usually specifically designed to be flexible and suitable for full-time students. You will have opportunities to try yourself in a number of different opportunities such as school visits, open days, public talks and possibly also telemarketing. For me it was the best choice I could nake :smile:

Also, I would suggest you an online tutor role. It is also really interesting and flexible. There are a lot of different platforms you can try yourself on. So, if you have some knowledge that you think might be valuable for other people, take your chance :smile:

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or progress,

- Ilya :wink:

Hey!
The universities offer a lot of part time jobs; There are the cafes and Restaurants in uni that are always looking for part time working students. They have flexible hours based on your lecture timings and pay pretty decent most of the times.
You could also become an ambassador - as mentioned by others - for a more flexible work and higher pay.
If you are good at your modules I would also suggest looking into becoming a teacher's assistant. \

If you have a broad skill range, I would suggest a part-time remote job with some company as a marketing assistant for example. They have 2-4 hours of work each day and pay high monthly salaries.
As mentioned by others- there are retail shops and bars and cafes in the towns/ city centers that are always hiring part-time workers.
Hope this helps :smile:
Vyomika

Hello,

I hope you're well. Uni students usually tend to do: agency jobs (you choose when / where you work), retail, food/restaurants/bars. Things that are relatively simple to be successful in getting. You can apply to most jobs through a website called "Indeed" or alternatively, have a walk around your town centre with some of your CVs printed off incase they are hiring in store. I feel remote jobs are harder to get than in person jobs, as they are normally jobs you require prior experience in - from what I have personally seen.

Best of luck :smile:
Jade
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hi,

Many universities have jobs available to students that are on campus or will suit to your timetable.

For example Edge Hill University have student guides who help out on open days and also taster days. There is also The Ambassador Platform (TAP) which allows prospective students to talk to current students. There is also the opportunity to work within the Student Union Bar and at the other vendors across the university. This could be a great way of getting a job that can also suit best to your schedule as usually the hours are appropriate to being able to balance both your work and social life.

My tips would be:
Check if the university has a careers page which could indicate job opportunities within the university and the surrounding area.

Make sure you have a good CV sorted and if you want some feedback on that you could always try getting in contact with the careers team at your university.

Have a look on Indeed and see what jobs are available in and around the universities area and maybe once you get there have a walk round and see if there is any advertisement for jobs.

Hope that helps! :smile: Let me know if you have any other questions

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Hi there!

I would say the best thing is to get a part-time job, this could be as working in retail, food service, or customer service. You can usually find part-time jobs on campus or online. Another idea is to tutor some students who are currently studying for their GCSE or similar, you can often find tutoring jobs through your university or online. In addition your University might offer lots of part-time positions such as being a student ambassador (which is a way I make money during University!) or within the Student Union. A great advantage of this is that these jobs are often very supportive of the need to balance your studies with working.

Good luck in the job hunting!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hello, some students will find themselves part-time work at local supermarkets, cinemas and takeaways. At ARU we have ARU temps which advertise jobs that are available that are suitable for students that can work around studying and be good for CV. You can find student ambassador roles and apply to work on open days and different events throughout the year. This is what I do and I have gained so much from working through the university which has included making new friends and learning new skills.

Best of luck with job hunting.

ARU Dee
Digital STudent Ambassador

Hi there,

A good place to start is with your universities SU page. A lot of universities post job openings for students on a career section of the SU page. Students can become ambassadors to the university and do a myriad of roles such as social media, campus tours, working on university residentials etc. They also post other roles such as retail, bar or other positions related to the university.

The best way to go is online and just see what’s open. Mostly it’ll be retail or service industry positions and in university towns it should be simple to discuss your availability and the term time dates with them.

Good luck finding work and joining uni!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Hey there!

I would agree with what has been said about on-campus jobs at your university. These types of jobs are great as they are fairly easy and will likely suit you and your university timetable. Also, the university will likely be very understanding if you need to drop your hours around exam season etc. I have worked as a student ambassador for open days, and I have also had a role within my universities employability centre, but other jobs can include working as a student rep or working on the students union team. These jobs are a great way to get involved with the university and meet new people and they also tend to be great pay!

Alternatively, you could get yourself a zero hour contract job in retail or hospitality, as this means you will be able to choose your shifts each week, which can be increased or dropped depending on your schedule. I would recommend working up to 2 days a week, as you don't want to fall behind in your studying.

I hope this helps.
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador.

Hi there!

It depends on your course as to what kind of work will suit you best! If you have a course where you are guaranteed to be off at weeks / evenings (e.g. a course where you don't do placements or follow shift patterns) then something like working part time in a supermarket / bar / restaurant / cafe might work well for you - this is what a lot of my friends do. Some universities will also have paid opportunities to work as a student ambassador which (at UCLan) works on an ad-hoc basis, making it easy to fit in around your studies!

I hope this helps!
Rebecca :smile:

Hi there,
Good question! There's lots of different part time jobs that students can do. The most important thing is that you find something that fits around your studies and that is something you enjoy. Seasonal or temp work is popular but you could also look at what jobs your university/student union are recruiting for. You might find our blog on part time student jobs handy, take a look here: https://bit.ly/3rcf3x1

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 13
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

A good place to start is with your universities SU page. A lot of universities post job openings for students on a career section of the SU page. Students can become ambassadors to the university and do a myriad of roles such as social media, campus tours, working on university residentials etc. They also post other roles such as retail, bar or other positions related to the university.

The best way to go is online and just see what’s open. Mostly it’ll be retail or service industry positions and in university towns it should be simple to discuss your availability and the term time dates with them.

Good luck finding work and joining uni!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi,

Many universities have jobs available to students that are on campus or will suit to your timetable.

For example Edge Hill University have student guides who help out on open days and also taster days. There is also The Ambassador Platform (TAP) which allows prospective students to talk to current students. There is also the opportunity to work within the Student Union Bar and at the other vendors across the university. This could be a great way of getting a job that can also suit best to your schedule as usually the hours are appropriate to being able to balance both your work and social life.

My tips would be:
Check if the university has a careers page which could indicate job opportunities within the university and the surrounding area.

Make sure you have a good CV sorted and if you want some feedback on that you could always try getting in contact with the careers team at your university.

Have a look on Indeed and see what jobs are available in and around the universities area and maybe once you get there have a walk round and see if there is any advertisement for jobs.

Hope that helps! :smile: Let me know if you have any other questions

Rebecca

Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!

I would agree with what has been said about on-campus jobs at your university. These types of jobs are great as they are fairly easy and will likely suit you and your university timetable. Also, the university will likely be very understanding if you need to drop your hours around exam season etc. I have worked as a student ambassador for open days, and I have also had a role within my universities employability centre, but other jobs can include working as a student rep or working on the students union team. These jobs are a great way to get involved with the university and meet new people and they also tend to be great pay!

Alternatively, you could get yourself a zero hour contract job in retail or hospitality, as this means you will be able to choose your shifts each week, which can be increased or dropped depending on your schedule. I would recommend working up to 2 days a week, as you don't want to fall behind in your studying.

I hope this helps.
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador.

thanks for the tips, i looked on my unis job page but seems like the application and interview is all before move in day, does that mean its not open to freshers? can i become student ambassador even though im entering this september?
thanks for the tips, i looked on my unis job page but seems like the application and interview is all before move in day, does that mean its not open to freshers? can i become student ambassador even though im entering this september?

Hi,

I remember for my university before first year they had jobs going before arriving and they are available to freshers, sometimes it can be that they are making sure they have enough employees for the new starters. I would maybe see if you can email the careers team and ask if they are aware of student ambassador jobs (open/taster days and the ambassador platform which is a way of speaking to prospective, however this job isn't available at all universities) becoming available in September/October as I know for Edge Hill they were made available then so that the new starters were able to apply for these after having been at the university for a couple of weeks.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

Rebecca

Hi ,
Honestly indeed was my best friend when i firsts started uni. Retail and bar work is your best friend, most places are very understanding when it comes to being in uni. Also taking your cv to businesses to see if they are hiring.

I hope this helps,
Keeley

Hi,

I'm an international student myself, and I am working part-time with my university as well. I help around with content creating and photoshoots from time to time. Some universities have job searching centres where you can enquire about any vacancies or opportunities available either inside or outside of university.

Perhaps your university has student jobs available as well, though they may not be remote, it shouldn't be that much more tedious.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Hello!
Lancaster has an employment and recruitment services department dedicated to part time jobs either on campus or in town! Local jobs are advertised here and they are also helpful with writing your CV and the application process! I'm sure this is similar at most other universities too! Most of the shops and cafes on campus employ students, giving you experience in the working world as well as helping you to make some money.

Thanks, Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi,

I was in a very similar position to you when I moved into university halls and I found that the best employment opportunity for me was becoming a University Student Ambassador as for us it is usually a 0 hour contract meaning you can work as much or as little as you please (within working laws of course). I found it was great as it was an opportunity to work around my studies and I also got to make loads of new friends as Student Ambassadors tend to work together at events quite often so you start to get to know people quite quickly. It's also an enjoyable job as you are constantly on the go with open days and fairs getting to share your enthusiasm for your university and your course with prospective students and families which can be really interesting.

Apart from that there are many opportunities in local shops, restaurants and pubs but I would recommend applying as soon as possible for them as they can be quite competitive especially if you are in a town or city with a lot of university students.

I hope this helps and as I said if your university offers a SA opportunity, I would 100% recommend you go for it as you won't regret it!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending