The Student Room Group

a level subjects

For my A levels I am thinking of doing German, Spanish, Maths and Physics
For those who took these subjects, how were they? What was challenging/easy/interesting? Any information is appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qaztcx
For those who took these subjects, how were they? What was challenging/easy/interesting? Any information is appreciated :smile:

No A-level is going to be easy. Every A-level will be challenging and I can't tell you whether those subjects are going to be interesting because they aren't really my thing so I don't do them.
Original post by flowersinmyhair

No A-level is going to be easy. Every A-level will be challenging and I can't tell you whether those subjects are going to be interesting because they aren't really my thing so I don't do them.

Maybe not easy but easier than others. Albeit some a levels are harder in different ways like the comp sci course has very simple theory but the project does my head in.
Original post by qaztcx

I do maths and physics and maths is not too bad tbf just keep on doing the textbook questions and you will get an A or A* pretty easily. Some topics are boring especially stats but you will like the calc stuff, I know I did, and that's a major part of a level maths so you will be fine.

physics on the other hand seems like hell on earth. be prepared to learn the content and have no idea how to answer any questions. theres a reason its named the hardest a level alongside further maths. i recommend going over content multiple times in different ways and ensure to make notes in a way you will understand as there are some very tricky topics and you will want to properly understand them. do a bunch of past paper questions and hopefully you will be alright but it is hard.
Original post by qaztcx

hiya i do spanish (year 13) and am really enjoying it at the moment! i think it might be better if you reach out to me by private message so i can provide you with more information - they seem like an interesting combo depending on what you want to do in the future <3! @qaztcx :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by shadowblades
I do maths and physics and maths is not too bad tbf just keep on doing the textbook questions and you will get an A or A* pretty easily. Some topics are boring especially stats but you will like the calc stuff, I know I did, and that's a major part of a level maths so you will be fine.

physics on the other hand seems like hell on earth. be prepared to learn the content and have no idea how to answer any questions. theres a reason its named the hardest a level alongside further maths. i recommend going over content multiple times in different ways and ensure to make notes in a way you will understand as there are some very tricky topics and you will want to properly understand them. do a bunch of past paper questions and hopefully you will be alright but it is hard.

thanks for the info, for physics are there any particularly hard subject areas or is it all generally challenging?
Original post by qaztcx
Original post by shadowblades

thanks for the info, for physics are there any particularly hard subject areas or is it all generally challenging?

Well I still have 3 topics left so idk about those and I'm doing Edexcel, but so far, honestly fields Is quite easy except from magnetic fields. Mechanics is alright. So is electricity. Honestly all of the topics except from magnetic fields are fine once you get your revision in but before that, they are all annoying. It's very important to have multiple layers of revision. This method worked for me anyway and it's where I will revise from say a textbook, then do some questions, then revise from an online source, then do some past papers questions, then make notes based on that, etc etc as it forces your brain to revise the content over and over again so it sticks
Reply 7
ok so its not that bad once the content is secure, thanks for the info, I'll be sure to do that and might look at the course early thanks :smile:
Original post by qaztcx

i do german and maths, and it depends on what you find hard really. i love german a lot but it’s very hard sometimes and requires continuous revision. maths on the other hand is easy to remember (in my opinion) but requires more revision when it comes to the exams. they’re both great, but difficult in different ways
Original post by qaztcx

I do Maths and Physics at the moment (as well as Economics) and I am in Year 13. Maths A-Level is manageable if you are prepared to put in effort, stay consistent and complete all the exercises in the textbook. I had such an expectation that it was going to be my hardest A-Level but it definitely isn't. Physics on the other hand I would not recommend unless it is essential for your degree or you are extremely interested in it. I find it so much more difficult to my other subject and it requires so much work. I also find it extremely difficult to revise for as 1) it is so difficult and 2) it is so hard to motivate myself to do it.
Reply 10
Original post by funny-liquid
i do german and maths, and it depends on what you find hard really. i love german a lot but it’s very hard sometimes and requires continuous revision. maths on the other hand is easy to remember (in my opinion) but requires more revision when it comes to the exams. they’re both great, but difficult in different ways

thanks for the insight, very helpful, i did get the sense that german required more practice
Original post by qaztcx

thanks for the insight, very helpful, i did get the sense that german required more practice

i definitely do recommend doing a language if you think you’d do well, they provide great opportunities and i personally would hate to not have continued with it :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by johnpork123
I do Maths and Physics at the moment (as well as Economics) and I am in Year 13. Maths A-Level is manageable if you are prepared to put in effort, stay consistent and complete all the exercises in the textbook. I had such an expectation that it was going to be my hardest A-Level but it definitely isn't. Physics on the other hand I would not recommend unless it is essential for your degree or you are extremely interested in it. I find it so much more difficult to my other subject and it requires so much work. I also find it extremely difficult to revise for as 1) it is so difficult and 2) it is so hard to motivate myself to do it.

I am very interested in physics, it's one of my favourite subjects so hopefully motivation won't be a huge problem
thanks for the insight, helpful to know that maths shouldnt be too difficult :smile:
Reply 13
i definitely do recommend doing a language if you think you’d do well, they provide great opportunities and i personally would hate to not have continued with it :smile:

yeah, i do love doing languages and do well in them so hopefully they should be all fine :smile:

yes i recommend doing a language, as i think i have already told you! it's very rewarding :smile:
Original post by qaztcx

Hi i do Maths alevel and i’m in year 13.
I’m predicted an A* for all my Alevels.
Honestly maths is quite challenging at times, but i really enjoy maths and the problem solving.
At times it may seem impossible to understand a topic at first, because some topics are harder than others, but i promise with hard work, effort and dedication you will get it eventually and do really well! Many times in the past i’ve doubted myself when facing difficult topics, but with enough practice i was able to do it! ☺️
There are 3 sections to maths; pure, statistics and mechanics. I struggle with mechanics the most because i’m not really a physics person haha. (i do chemistry, maths and biology)
But maths is really all about practice, if you complete all the exercises and practice a lot be just fine. (practice questions and repetition with maths is key)
Also if maths is not really your strong subject, (if you don’t get at-least a 6 in GCSE) i personally think you’ll struggle with maths Alevel a lot.
Maths Alevel does start off with grade 8-9 gcse content but more advanced (for example in pure you start off by looking at surds and indices but at alevel level) then you get into the harder Alevel stuff.
Original post by nora.aa169
Original post by qaztcx

Honestly maths is quite challenging at times, but i really enjoy maths and the problem solving.
At times it may seem impossible to understand a topic at first, because some topics are harder than others, but i promise with hard work, effort and dedication you will get it eventually and do really well! Many times in the past i’ve doubted myself when facing difficult topics, but with enough practice i was able to do it! ☺️
There are 3 sections to maths; pure, statistics and mechanics. I struggle with mechanics the most because i’m not really a physics person haha. (i do chemistry, maths and biology)
But maths is really all about practice, if you complete all the exercises and practice a lot be just fine. (practice questions and repetition with maths is key)
Also if maths is not really your strong subject, (if you don’t get at-least a 6 in GCSE) i personally think you’ll struggle with maths Alevel a lot.
Maths Alevel does start off with grade 8-9 gcse content but more advanced (for example in pure you start off by looking at surds and indices but at alevel level) then you get into the harder Alevel stuff.

i would definitely only do maths if you got a nine at gcse, maybe an eight if you’re really keen, so i agree! i got a high nine at gcse and still struggle with it quite a lot so it’s definitely difficult! at my school they allow anyone who got a seven or above to take it, but generally people who got less than a nine find it really hard
Original post by Pyschology8
Can anyone help me with this please

when an individual wish to stand in opposition to authority, he does best to find support for his position from others in his group. the mutual support provided by men for each other is the strongest bulwark we have against the excesses of authority.
which variation of milgram's obedience study demonstrates this and why ?

you’d be better posting this in a subject specific thread :smile:
Original post by Pyschology8

Do u have a link for it cause I’ve posted in 2 different places now and been told to post elsewhere lol

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98930234

try this one. i’m assuming it’s a psychology question, this is just for alevel choices not the alevels themselves :smile: there’s also a year thirteen general chat which could help you
Reply 19
Original post by nora.aa169

thanks for the info, i also really enjoy the problem solving aspect
I'm predicted 9 for GCSE so hopefully it wont be too bad :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest