The Student Room Group

Teavhing

Help in teaching A level Mathematics
Original post by MamdouhTewfik
Help in teaching A level Mathematics

Pray?

I have done A Level Maths but I have never taught it.

Things I would include in the lessons:

A general step by step framework for the type of question you are doing

List out the related/possibly applicable formulae on the side of the board when doing questions

Explain your thinking when looking at specific questions

List out all possible mistakes people have made and things student should be aware of

Point out how certain techniques are used in disciplines outside of mathematics to make the information relevant to the student e.g. differentiation for economics, integration for engineering, discrete maths for computer science, mechanics for physics, statistics for pretty much everything in science, engineering, and social science, etc. If you have problems finding examples from textbooks, consider using Google for university level material.

Have summary sheets of the topics and material that they would need to learn; Bicen Maths (YouTube channel) has very good worksheets and videos for this

Give them a list of YouTubers to follow in case there are things they need to revise on e.g. Bicen Maths, TL Maths, Exam Solutions

Give students past papers to work from across all possible exam boards. Give out practice papers often

Teach students to work on their weak areas and not just their strengths.

Include visuals where appropriate

Try to complete the syllabus early so it gives them more time to revise and practice. Then spend remaining lesson time going through past papers.

Quick Reply

Latest