The Student Room Group

N/A

Changed mind
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
I majorly regret not doing bio. I’m super interested in applying for Human sciences at UCL, and whilst I do meet the requirements, I don’t meet their preference (‘one science subject required, preferably bio’). So I was wondering if it was possible (or a good idea) to learn the year 12 bio content this summer, in time for joining a year 13 class next year. Bearing in mind I do have stuff to do over summer, including geo coursework, writing ps, extra reading etc.

If I don’t end up doing bio, I will still learn the bio content over year 13 summer (if I were to get an offer), but the issue is i feel like my chances of an offer are slim to none because I don’t take bio (although my subjects are pretty relevant and I have a strong grade profile it’s just the issue of not having bio).

For anyone who is doing/has done bio, or has completed an a level in a much shorter period of time- is this realistic? Or should I just stay on with my subjects with a lower chance of admission?

I don’t think that’s a good idea. It’ll be a lot of work and y13 is a lot anyway - I feel like it’ll be so much worse if you haven’t had a break over the summer
Reply 2
its definitely not impossible, but it will be quite tough and a lot of year 13 work depends on solid knowledge from AS. i think that if you're very consistent with it and willing to dedicate a large majority of your summer to learning the content (also making sure your school will allow this in the first place), then i think it could work.
what i'd recommend is doing loads of practice questions and really studying the mark scheme as they're very specific, watching youtubers like miss estruch and making flashcards from the very start. you'll also need to consider when you could do your year 12 required practicals because you need to have done them by the end of year 13 in order to get a practical pass. good luck :smile:
Original post by bamsa
I majorly regret not doing bio. I’m super interested in applying for Human sciences at UCL, and whilst I do meet the requirements, I don’t meet their preference (‘one science subject required, preferably bio’). So I was wondering if it was possible (or a good idea) to learn the year 12 bio content this summer, in time for joining a year 13 class next year. Bearing in mind I do have stuff to do over summer, including geo coursework, writing ps, extra reading etc.

If I don’t end up doing bio, I will still learn the bio content over year 13 summer (if I were to get an offer), but the issue is i feel like my chances of an offer are slim to none because I don’t take bio (although my subjects are pretty relevant and I have a strong grade profile it’s just the issue of not having bio).

For anyone who is doing/has done bio, or has completed an a level in a much shorter period of time- is this realistic? Or should I just stay on with my subjects with a lower chance of admission?

YES YOU CAN DO IT !!!!
As long as you do around 8 hours a day of Biology I can guarantee that you will be able to cover all of the content I have a 8 week timetable of all of the content for bio according to OCR A biology spec that i made for myself and that helped me alot got me from a E grade to an A in my mocks :smile:

LMK and i can send it to and if you want i can help you with studying after ive completed my exams
Original post by bamsa
Really!!! When you say 8 week timetable is that for the full 2 years??? I would be doing OCR A aswell, so I would really appreciate if you’d be able to send the timetable. Thank you for your response!!

yes everything for the full 2 years x
Original post by bamsa
Really!!! When you say 8 week timetable is that for the full 2 years??? I would be doing OCR A aswell, so I would really appreciate if you’d be able to send the timetable. Thank you for your response!!

pm me your email and ill send it over to you

Quick Reply

Latest