The Student Room Group

Do universities care about gap years?

Hi, so I’m currently sitting my A level exams but I haven’t applied to university. I was kind of too depressed to bother to be honest - don’t worry, been to the GP and all that and I’m gonna apply next year. But I was just wondering if this will affect my chances of getting into university if I’ve had a gap year?
Reply 1
it doesnt as long as you do something productive during your gap year
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I’m currently sitting my A level exams but I haven’t applied to university. I was kind of too depressed to bother to be honest - don’t worry, been to the GP and all that and I’m gonna apply next year. But I was just wondering if this will affect my chances of getting into university if I’ve had a gap year?

No they don't mind at all. It is not like applying for a job, where the interviewer might want to check if there are any gaps in your CV, and it there are, might question you about them. With unis, their entrance requirements will be the same whether or you are going straight from A-levels or taking a gap year.

I understand that at Cambridge, during interviews, they might have a slightly higher expectation of a gap year student, as those students have finished their A-levels, rather than being part way through them, but that's an extreme example, especially as most uni's don't interview for any courses other than med/vet.

In the vast majority of cases, it will make no difference to your chances of getting in.
Reply 3
Original post by lalexm
No they don't mind at all. It is not like applying for a job, where the interviewer might want to check if there are any gaps in your CV, and it there are, might question you about them. With unis, their entrance requirements will be the same whether or you are going straight from A-levels or taking a gap year.

I understand that at Cambridge, during interviews, they might have a slightly higher expectation of a gap year student, as those students have finished their A-levels, rather than being part way through them, but that's an extreme example, especially as most uni's don't interview for any courses other than med/vet.

In the vast majority of cases, it will make no difference to your chances of getting in.

Thank you
No. The only course I'm aware of that has ever expressed any potential concern over gap years was maths at Cambridge, and even then it was only some colleges (which generally didn't have an issue if you did something mathematical in the gap year to keep your skills up) and even that I think is a bit historical nowadays.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
No. The only course I'm aware of that has ever expressed any potential concern over gap years was maths at Cambridge, and even then it was only some colleges (which generally didn't have an issue if you did something mathematical in the gap year to keep your skills up) and even that I think is a bit historical nowadays.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi stranger I'm literally in the same situation word for word LMAO but like just enjoy this gap year, work on your passion, explore new things, develop self-discipline you will need it after a long break going back to uni. Don't stress too much about it I am in the exact same position. Sometimes, I feel like I am falling behind, like I am missing out, but don't stress about it. Take time to reflect, grow, and become a better you, even if it means changing By 1% every day, slow growth is better than nothing. So yeah, hope this helps, and good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest