The Student Room Group

Feeling empty by a non immediate bereavement

Hello, so one of the people who live down our street passed away this weekend, we knew him more than "just someone who lives on our road ", is it okay to feel a bit upset, low by this news? It's almost brough back previous feelings, worries etc
Reply 1
Of course it's Ok to feel upset and low. We all deal with grief differently, and we can grieve for anyone - not just very close friends and relatives. Try and speak with someone (family or friends) about how you're feeling - it's perfectly normal. Take care
Reply 2
Original post by JohnB1
Of course it's Ok to feel upset and low. We all deal with grief differently, and we can grieve for anyone - not just very close friends and relatives. Try and speak with someone (family or friends) about how you're feeling - it's perfectly normal. Take care

Thank i guess so. I tried going into work today, had a massive panic attack on journey, i still went in and while the managers were okay one of my colleagues was like you need to be more resilient and Judst get over it - everyone that lives will die and yeah while i know and understand that i just feel the way i do.i just hate being told I'm not resiliajt when actually i was
I could've very easily just said I'm not coming in.

Anyway....find it hard to talking to family as they wouldn't be understandimg
I found out funerals during work hours and want to be part of a little bit would work give me time off? Considering it's a Monday like 1 HR and already having Friday all morning off for something else.
Reply 3
Original post by unknownforever
Thank i guess so. I tried going into work today, had a massive panic attack on journey, i still went in and while the managers were okay one of my colleagues was like you need to be more resilient and Judst get over it - everyone that lives will die and yeah while i know and understand that i just feel the way i do.i just hate being told I'm not resiliajt when actually i was
I could've very easily just said I'm not coming in.

Anyway....find it hard to talking to family as they wouldn't be understandimg
I found out funerals during work hours and want to be part of a little bit would work give me time off? Considering it's a Monday like 1 HR and already having Friday all morning off for something else.

Most businesses will only give time off on compassionate grounds to attend funerals of immediate family - check your company policy though as this will say. It may be that you need to take leave, but speak with your manager who will be able to confirm too.
Reply 4
We don't get annual leave because we have half term holidays, summer holidays etc work on a school. I'm worried they Wont and i think i really need to be part of the closure otherwise it does no good to my mental health. I did that in January didn't go or be part of that closure with a bereavement further relative than this then if really played in my head etc.. So which is why I'm like i need this closure. But because i need Friday off as well (training day- Co incidence) I'm slightly scared to ask. I mean the Monday would only be an hour. Just bereavement really play on my head.
it is fine to feel a bit upset
i would feel the same
it means you have a heart :heart:
Reply 6
Original post by beautifulworld
it is fine to feel a bit upset
i would feel the same
it means you have a heart :heart:

Thank you, that's reassuring. I feel bjt better than i was. Still feel little numb but okay.

Quick Reply

Latest