The Student Room Group

work related self hatred

Does anyone else feel sometimes that if you aren't working you are worthless? 'If you don't have a job and are a student then you have no value'.

I can't help but feel that there is a judgement made on you as an individual based on what job you do from friends, family and just about anyone you meet. I am guilty of it aswell. Someone is a nurse or doctor, oh well then they must be great people with no faults, all perfect.

side note : ex gfs mum asked me about my career and knew I was still undecided, almost looking down her nose at me as if I was a fool for not deciding from the infinite number of careers. Its like these people are so deluded and brainwashed into equating employment with an individuals character and value in the world. I refuse to subscribe to it.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone else feel sometimes that if you aren't working you are worthless? 'If you don't have a job and are a student then you have no value'.

I can't help but feel that there is a judgement made on you as an individual based on what job you do from friends, family and just about anyone you meet. I am guilty of it aswell. Someone is a nurse or doctor, oh well then they must be great people with no faults, all perfect.

side note : ex gfs mum asked me about my career and knew I was still undecided, almost looking down her nose at me as if I was a fool for not deciding from the infinite number of careers. Its like these people are so deluded and brainwashed into equating employment with an individuals character and value in the world. I refuse to subscribe to it.

I mean I agree that there is definitely a degree of prejudice based on employment status and career choice.

However, it's not completely pointless. It took me a while to learn this, but most of the time it's best to steer clear of people who are unemployed by choice. And by that I mean they are capable of working (not disabled etc.) and make little to no effort at finding a job. This doesn't really apply to students as much as adults out of education. If you can get through uni without a part time job you're privileged but that's good for you.

With careers I think it's a bit more silly, especially since there are so many misconceptions about different jobs. People think that nurses or engineers make crazy good money - some of them definitely do but definitely not all of them, I wouldn't even say most of them. People who work in law and medicine are super smart - I mean surely they are not imbeciles since these are pretty tough majors but I know multiple people in these fields with shockingly limited life skills.

But, from the perspective of a parent, of course you'd like your child's partner to have a plan for the future and a "good" career in mind. It's only natural that you want your kids to be with somebody who will be able to look after them instead of leeching off of them.
i went through a long period of my life believing that if i don't have a job or am not a student, then i am worthless. then i learned that i have worth because i exist. i met people in my life who equate employment with an individual's character and value. i believed it and felt depressed for a long time.

Quick Reply

Latest