The Student Room Group

I worry about other people's welfare a lot - why??

This makes me sound kinda silly, hence why I'm going anonymous.

It's just - I worry about everyone around me so much. Like, a lot. I worry about my friends and family even when there's no need to worry or I have no evidence to worry. Like, my friend earlier didn't reply to my message for a while and her answer sounded slightly unlike herself, and I immediately read way too much into it and was on the verge of a full-scale anxiety attack, freaking out it case something terrible had happened and she was upset. And I feel constantly like looking after my family is my duty and I shouldn't leave them, even tho I really wanna move out next year.

I'm like this even with people I don't know too well. A lecturer at my university was recently unwell (not even like, seriously unwell or anything, they were fine the next day) and I literally nearly cried, I was worrying so much.

I just feel like I need to be constantly hyper-sensitive in case anyone I love is feeling sad or ill or anything. I literally make plans about what I would do in worst case scenarios if someone I loved really needed me.

This post makes me sound kinda sad lol. I just have no idea why I'm like this, it's not like I've lost any friends or family to any terrible accident recently or anything, I have a great life and there has been no particular incident that made me start thinking like this.

Is there something wrong with me? Or am I just being sensitive?

Thanks for reading my ramble lol. Hope you're all safe and well!! (lol)
That's not silly at all! I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sounds to me like you might be suffering from anxiety. You may want to think about speaking to a healthcare professional/Counsellor - especially if you're struggling to sleep or eat.
were you responsible for people's well-being in a past life?

i might ask your friend if something terrible happened

is your family fine with you moving out next year?
Reply 3
Original post by AGalanthynius
That's not silly at all! I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sounds to me like you might be suffering from anxiety. You may want to think about speaking to a healthcare professional/Counsellor - especially if you're struggling to sleep or eat.

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, you might be right. I just seem to be worried about everything in general all the time - like when I was doing my exams I was so anxious about them I thought I could never get through them, and now the exams are over and I should be relaxing I'm just using all this free time to get super wound up about everything, even silly stuff like whether my friend not replying for a few hours means something terrible has happened lol. I really don't like the idea of speaking to a professional tho, lol, I can't think of anything much scarier than that!!

I've spent the last week trying to focus on the present a bit more, and concentrate on my breathing and take back up some of the hobbies I really enjoy, and it's helping a bit! I'm gonna try and keep myself busy over the summer so I have less time to dwell on stuff, and then hopefully I should make it through in one piece! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by beautifulworld
were you responsible for people's well-being in a past life?

i might ask your friend if something terrible happened

is your family fine with you moving out next year?

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't been responsible for anyone's wellbeing before. One of my family members has been a bit unwell before so I've had to help them with some things over the past few years, but it doesn't really feel like a responsibility if you know what I mean, just me trying to help. And yeah, my family is fine with me moving out - well, I think they're a bit sad, and I feel a bit bad about leaving them to deal with stuff, but overall they're happy for me. So I don't really know where all this has come from lol! I think I probably just panic about everything in general, and this is the latest chunk of 'everything' that I'm choosing to stress about haha

Quick Reply

Latest