The Student Room Group

Is This Normal?

Sometimes, I forget to take a shopping basket from the front of the store, so sometimes I just decide to put my shopping in my ASDA bag for life, then pay for all of my shopping afterwards. Is this normal? Sometimes, people give me weird looks, but surely this is normal? None of the ASDA workers question me because I'm a local, but I don't want to look suspicious or look like I am going to steal anything, when I know I won't steal anything, especially since I pay for everything at the till.

Once I accidently didn't pay for 25p Chupa Chups gum, but I forgot I picked it up and I didn't see it as it was at the bottom of my shopping bag; I only discovered it one or two weeks later. This event occurred a couple of months ago and I can't even remember the month it occurred, it might have even occurred at the start of 2023, but I was riddled with guilt, even though, it was an accident.

I ended up making up the difference and donating to charity, I wish I paid for the gum, but I really didn't see it my bag, I even tried it and it was awful. I could have went back to the store and paid for it, but I didn't know what they were going to think and although I was riddled with guilt, was it something to make a big fuss over?

I have read posts on TSR, where users have shoplifted on purpose and got caught or they have shoplifted, but didn't get caught, one thing these losers have in common is that they feel no remorse for their actions and justify shop lifting.
Reply 1
Original post by MakeAStatement
Sometimes, I forget to take a shopping basket from the front of the store, so sometimes I just decide to put my shopping in my ASDA bag for life, then pay for all of my shopping afterwards. Is this normal? Sometimes, people give me weird looks, but surely this is normal? None of the ASDA workers question me because I'm a local, but I don't want to look suspicious or look like I am going to steal anything, when I know I won't steal anything, especially since I pay for everything at the till.

Once I accidently didn't pay for 25p Chupa Chups gum, but I forgot I picked it up and I didn't see it as it was at the bottom of my shopping bag; I only discovered it one or two weeks later. This event occurred a couple of months ago and I can't even remember the month it occurred, it might have even occurred at the start of 2023, but I was riddled with guilt, even though, it was an accident.

I ended up making up the difference and donating to charity, I wish I paid for the gum, but I really didn't see it my bag, I even tried it and it was awful. I could have went back to the store and paid for it, but I didn't know what they were going to think and although I was riddled with guilt, was it something to make a big fuss over?

I have read posts on TSR, where users have shoplifted on purpose and got caught or they have shoplifted, but didn't get caught, one thing these losers have in common is that they feel no remorse for their actions and justify shop lifting.

Personally, I haven’t seen people shopping with a bag for life instead of a basket, but as long as you are paying for what you’re buying and it’s more efficient for you, I don’t see the problem.
Honestly, don’t feel guilty because of a pack of gum. You don’t seem like a person who would commit immoral acts and it’s easy to miss something so small.
I’ve had a similar experience but with a book from the library as a child. It was my first time in the library by myself, and we had to use a machine to check it out. I was confused how to do it, but I eventually got my receipt and made my way to the door. As I passed through the doorway, the sensors were going haywire and I was confused as to why. When I got home, I realised that I didn’t check it out, but I checked it in. That caused me to feel guilty, so I asked my mother to return it after I finished reading it, because I was embarrassed the sensors would go off again.
Anyways, moral of the story, sometimes things happen if we are confused, tired or just unaware. So don’t feel guilty! Just make sure to be more careful next time!
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
The ‘shop and go’ schemes have made using your own bags before paying, so don’t think there is any problem with this. They would have to show that you intended to leave the store without paying anyway

Quick Reply

Latest