The Student Room Group

should I choose to repeat?

Hi, I'm studying BSc Mathematics with Financial Mathematics in University of Manchester in my 1st year. grades for the first semester final have been released and I have passed all, but most of my grade just passed 40% pass line, i'm worring it would affect my future application of pg or/and intern. can i ask for repeat my 1st yr when there's no fail course? and if yes, should I?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I'm studying BSc Mathematics with Financial Mathematics in University of Manchester in my 1st year. grades for the first semester final have been released and I have passed all, but most of my grade just passed 40% pass line, i'm worring it would affect my future application of pg or/and intern. can i ask for repeat my 1st yr when there's no fail course? and if yes, should I?
You usually cannot request a year retake on these grounds.
Reply 2

You can't normally resit courses that you've already passed.

You're referring to future applications for "pg", by which I assume you mean postgraduate study, but it looks like you're barely scraping a pass in first year undergraduate level work. Do you understand where you're going wrong in the modules where you're only just passing?
no
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
i see, but is it possible to change my course to another similar course? like from math with financial math to math with finance
A postgrad app would likely be more concerned if you had to retake a year (if permitted) or switched courses to recover from a poor start.

A wobbly year 1 is nothing exceptional. Concentrate on your year 2 before getting ahead of yourself and thinking about postgrad.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800

Hello on what grounds can a repeat request be made?
Reply 7
Original post by Gracie138
You usually can't request it unless there are (very) significant mitigating circumstances at play. It is otherwise sometimes offered- and then only once - in the event of continued failure.
Reply 8
i see, but is it possible to change my course to another similar course? like from math with financial math to math with finance

Not usually. But you can ask about it.
Reply 9
Original post by gjd800
You usually can't request it unless there are (very) significant mitigating circumstances at play. It is otherwise sometimes offered- and then only once - in the event of continued failure.

Thank you for the clarity
Original post by Gracie138

You normally can't "ask" to repeat at all. Degree level study isn't like A-levels, you can't just retake things until you get the grade you want. Normally students will only be invited to resit an exam (usually in my experience called taking a referred exam) or repeat a year under specific circumstances, i.e. where they failed the module(s), those modules can't be condoned (i.e. permitted to progress even with a failing mark in the module, normally subject to attaining an overall pass in the year), and normally unless there are extenuating circumstances any referred modules will be capped at the minimum grade of pass (normally 40%).

I've been to a few unis and while some of the finer details can vary (usually with regard to how many times this can happen - often you're limited to 3 attempts max at any one assessment, so original, referred exam in summer, then repeat year at most typically) this is the general picture of how things work. There is only one circumstance can students normally repeat a module for a better grade, which is if they documented extenuating cirucmstances and are permitted an uncapped resit of the exam. Usually however I think unis would prefer to facilitate the student deferring the exam/assessment (i.e. not attempting it in the original exam period and taking it later after the situation causing the ECs is resolved) or for longer term issues, to facilitate an interruption of studies then return a year later.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
You normally can't "ask" to repeat at all. Degree level study isn't like A-levels, you can't just retake things until you get the grade you want. Normally students will only be invited to resit an exam (usually in my experience called taking a referred exam) or repeat a year under specific circumstances, i.e. where they failed the module(s), those modules can't be condoned (i.e. permitted to progress even with a failing mark in the module, normally subject to attaining an overall pass in the year), and normally unless there are extenuating circumstances any referred modules will be capped at the minimum grade of pass (normally 40%).
I've been to a few unis and while some of the finer details can vary (usually with regard to how many times this can happen - often you're limited to 3 attempts max at any one assessment, so original, referred exam in summer, then repeat year at most typically) this is the general picture of how things work. There is only one circumstance can students normally repeat a module for a better grade, which is if they documented extenuating cirucmstances and are permitted an uncapped resit of the exam. Usually however I think unis would prefer to facilitate the student deferring the exam/assessment (i.e. not attempting it in the original exam period and taking it later after the situation causing the ECs is resolved) or for longer term issues, to facilitate an interruption of studies then return a year later.
Yes, this is broadly accurate and has been everywhere I have worked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending