The Student Room Group

Things I wish I knew before I started uni

Before starting University there were many things I wish I had known, such as how relaxed the uni environment is. This makes study a lot less stressful than I thought it would be.

I also wish I had gone to some Open Days. This would have helped with my confidence with getting around the uni as I was a bit lost on my first day. Another thing I wish I knew was to not be afraid to ask questions! In fact I have found that a lot of lectures encourage you to ask questions, there is no silly questions because everyone is at university to learn from the lecturers and each other.

 If you are a new student starting this September, I would recommend being yourself and having confidence. Definitely, attend an Open Day or two. Finally, just pace yourself with work and remember to ask any questions if you need help. I think a lot of people forget that we are paying for this part of our education so take advantage of it. 

So, tell me, what things did you wish you knew before you started uni?

Gurpej (Student Rep)
Hi there,

Current Cardiff uni student here!

Most importantly, before university, I wish that I had known to not worry. As said in the previous comment, I was also very surprised with how relaxed the university environment is - now I see things as being much more figureoutable, rather than getting stressed.

Also, to believe people when they tell you to attend freshers' events. I didn't attend many freshers events and it was reflected in my entire first year! They're a great opportunity to meet as many people as possible.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Before starting University there were many things I wish I had known, such as how relaxed the uni environment is. This makes study a lot less stressful than I thought it would be.

I also wish I had gone to some Open Days. This would have helped with my confidence with getting around the uni as I was a bit lost on my first day. Another thing I wish I knew was to not be afraid to ask questions! In fact I have found that a lot of lectures encourage you to ask questions, there is no silly questions because everyone is at university to learn from the lecturers and each other.

 If you are a new student starting this September, I would recommend being yourself and having confidence. Definitely, attend an Open Day or two. Finally, just pace yourself with work and remember to ask any questions if you need help. I think a lot of people forget that we are paying for this part of our education so take advantage of it. 

Gurpej (Student Rep)

I wish that I'd put myself out there a little more in my first year. I joined the dance society but did not attend socials or get more involved such as auditioning for their competition team. I was so worried about my course and working hard that I didn't think I'd have time for anything else. I was scared to talk to people who had their own friends especially since I'd moved to a uni very far from home.

I think it's really important to find a balance between your work and social life. Give yourself a break every now and again! It is okay to take a day off from working, and try to have the confidence to introduce yourself to new people because I made some amazing friends this year who I could have made last year. Obviously don't neglect your studies because this is what we're here for, but be kind to yourself and find the people who will lift you up when you feel down.

Good luck to anyone who is beginning their studies in September!

Rachel- YSJ Student rep

Gurpej (Student Rep)

Hi @BCU Student Rep,

This is a great question to give new students some advice!

Personally, I wish that I had worked harder to put myself out there and socialize in first year. While I did push myself out of my comfort zone, I definitely could've met more people, joined a sport or society, or found more opportunities in and around the city that I am only now taking advantage of, which make my student life a lot more fun!

I also wish I didn't stress out about contributing in lectures so much, as it's actually way more laid back than I thought. The lecturers are much more understanding and aware of this, and I'd advise anyone to just ask questions and show interest!

Good luck to any new students starting in September!

Isabella

Gurpej (Student Rep)

Hey!

I’m a second year ODP student at ARU and there is so many things I wish I’d known before starting uni!

I wish I’d known about Taster Days that universities offer. It’s hard deciding what uni to choose and since working some of the Taster Days, I really wish I’d experienced this. It’s such a fantastic way to really experience the University and Course. I feel like I could have got so many questions answered.

I also wish I’d known about the amazing online library. I spent a fair amount of time worrying about what books I should buy before starting. As soon as I started I realised this wasn’t something I needed to worry about!

Lastly, I wish I’d written down information from each university. It’s easy to get the information mixed up and once accepting my offer at ARU I felt too nervous to ask questions. So I guess looking back I also wish I hadn’t felt so silly about asking important questions!

Good luck to any students starting in September!

Sophie :smile: (ARU)

Gurpej (Student Rep)

Hi there! This is a great thread which I wish I could have seen before starting university!

I totally agree about asking questions in lectures and seminars, as at the time this can feel daunting, but it really would be useful in the long run. I would also say that building relationships with tutors and academic advisors is one of the best things you can do. My academic advisor felt like someone I really could go to if I had any problems at all, which has made my experience at university so much more positive.

I would also say to get involved in everything that you can! This can be nights-out, socials/societies, university events or networking. Each of these can really open the door to meeting new people and benefit you in the future. For example, my university put on hundreds of events for my course over the years to expend our networking and career opportunities. These can be added to your CV and LinkedIn which will benefit your future career. If you're struggling to make friends or you feel bored at times, joining a society can be amazing to fill up your weekly schedules, while also being an amazing opportunity to meet people with similar interests.

I also wish I would have batch cooked my meals more at university too as this can save so much time and money. I only did this every so often while at uni, but looking back I wish I did it more as I was always so grateful for when I did!

I hope this helps someone!

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador.
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

Current Cardiff uni student here!

Most importantly, before university, I wish that I had known to not worry. As said in the previous comment, I was also very surprised with how relaxed the university environment is - now I see things as being much more figureoutable, rather than getting stressed.

Also, to believe people when they tell you to attend freshers' events. I didn't attend many freshers events and it was reflected in my entire first year! They're a great opportunity to meet as many people as possible.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi Jaz,

I am hoping to go to Cardiff this September, and I am moving away from home to study there. I was a bit worried about budgeting and managing to use your money wisely during uni. Do you have any tips for that ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending