The Student Room Group

Can't Find a Job During Uni

Hi there,

So as mentioned in the title, I am struggling to find a job. I started my course in september, and I even managed to get a job before my lectures started, after a couple of days of applying, but after a trail shift and a first proper shift I decided to quit, the atmosphere was horrible, the employer wasn't fair and I just knew working there would affect my uni performance, which is my priority.

I do have some experience, I worked as a waitress for 6 months during my A-levels, but that's about it. I've applied to a lot of places on indeed, directly on websites, even walked around some places and asked directly there, but I mostly don't get any replies, and if I do, it's usually the one saying my application is not further progressed to the next stage.

It really makes me feel like a failure and almost like there's something wrong with me, but I don't know what else to do. Everyone I talk to are either struggling with the same thing, or have a job they had before going to uni.

I'm not in a financial crisis, but I could really use some extra money, especially that I wanna start saving, as well as gaining some experience would be useful.

I was considering volunteering in some places to gain the experience and then after some time, start applying again. Would any of you have any tips or suggestions? I could really use some advice now :/

Thanks!
Original post by j3lly_f1sh
Hi there,

So as mentioned in the title, I am struggling to find a job. I started my course in september, and I even managed to get a job before my lectures started, after a couple of days of applying, but after a trail shift and a first proper shift I decided to quit, the atmosphere was horrible, the employer wasn't fair and I just knew working there would affect my uni performance, which is my priority.

I do have some experience, I worked as a waitress for 6 months during my A-levels, but that's about it. I've applied to a lot of places on indeed, directly on websites, even walked around some places and asked directly there, but I mostly don't get any replies, and if I do, it's usually the one saying my application is not further progressed to the next stage.

It really makes me feel like a failure and almost like there's something wrong with me, but I don't know what else to do. Everyone I talk to are either struggling with the same thing, or have a job they had before going to uni.

I'm not in a financial crisis, but I could really use some extra money, especially that I wanna start saving, as well as gaining some experience would be useful.

I was considering volunteering in some places to gain the experience and then after some time, start applying again. Would any of you have any tips or suggestions? I could really use some advice now :/

Thanks!

Hi @j3lly_f1sh

I am sorry to hear you're struggling with finding work. I can only imagine how that could get a person down!

You mentioned you have used platforms like Indeed and directly applying too. My first tip would be to download LinkedIn and create a profile on there. It is a great place to expand your professional network and find jobs.*

It is great to hear that you are considering volunteering! During my time at uni, I have volunteered for West Midlands Police and the charity Barnardo’s. I will always be grateful for the experiences I have had working with those organisations. So if you have to means to do so, volunteering while at uni is definitely the way to go.

However, I did also have a part-time job. I work as a Student Ambassador for my university. This role has developed me in many different ways; if your university offers a similar thing then definitely sign up! If you're not sure there will definitely be a career department you can talk to. The work tends to be very varied and you get to meet other students too which is a plus. Over time I have also built a good working relationship with the staff working at my university which is lovely and made me feel part of a community.

Hope some of this is helpful!

Wishing you all the best:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending