The Student Room Group

i feel so alone, does anyone have advice on coping mechanisms?

this is a vent post i guess - i’ve been struggling with my mental health a lot lately and one of my best friends has just decided to completely ghost me a month ago (they go to a different school and i have no clue why they’re ignoring me but the friendship has basically ended) and i’m never going to see my favourite teacher again in like two weeks and she literally knows everything about me. i really am not coping well and it feels like everything is falling apart, not to mention i haven’t started any of my coursework or personal statement, does anyone have any coping mechanisms or advice?
This might sound controversial but sometimes the best coping mechanism is to get distracted by doing some stuff. There are some things that you can’t control, and unfortunately graduation or friendship ending is one of them. I am genuinely sorry for your friendship loss, it must be really disappointing and stressful. However, starting working on some stuff like personal statements might be helpful, because it is something about your future. And working on your future should bring you the feeling of control over your life. Usually the feeling of control is incredibly important during the stressful times.
Oh and I also suggest working gradually on big projects like personal statements. They might seem huge and frustrating, but if you come up with a plan which divides the project into small steps requiring an hour of work daily, it will be much easier to handle.
Try to find something small and nice everyday. So that you have some nice little activity you can complete and look forward to. It is a good feeling to get stuff done. And while it sucks now, you will have a lot of opportunities to make friends later in life, so heads up. For most of us it get better, not worse. :smile:
It might be also an idea, to join a club, or find an online group, to talk or do something. Then you will feel less alone.

Quick Reply

Latest