The Student Room Group

Can anyone help? Benefits and student loan

So my mum is currently on u/c, therefore I am going to be getting the whole 8,400 student loan (I am going to live at home) however she will no longer be supporting me financially, can I also apply and receive u/c? I have aslo applied to PIP as I am classed as disabled but what I want to know is will I get u/c, PIP AND my student loan?
Universal credit is unlikely, but ask DWP nevertheless.
Reply 2
Usually you cannot get UC as a student unless specific circumstances occur. The most common ones are that you are responsible for a child or you receive disability benefits such as PIP and have Limited Capability for Work with UC (I think LCW has to be awarded before your course starts)

The other eligibility criteria’s are:

You are under 21, taking a course that leading to a qualification at the same level as or below A levels (such as Scottish Highers, National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) up to level 3) and you do not and cannot live with your parents Which a university course wouldn’t be.

You are over 66

You live with a partner who can claim Universal Credit

You have taken time out from your course for illness or caring responsibilities, are now recovered/your caring responsibilities have ended, and you are waiting to go back to your course.

There’s a really good page on the Turn 2 Us website that has all information about students and benefits:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Full-time-students-and-benefits/Student-income#guide-content

Or you can call the citizens advice help to claim line if you don’t already have a universal credit claim :smile:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/help-to-claim/
Reply 3
Original post by milliewignall_
So my mum is currently on u/c, therefore I am going to be getting the whole 8,400 student loan (I am going to live at home) however she will no longer be supporting me financially, can I also apply and receive u/c? I have aslo applied to PIP as I am classed as disabled but what I want to know is will I get u/c, PIP AND my student loan?

short answer: yes
Reply 4
'yes', contingent on whether you are eligible for SFE finance as a dependent (living with a parent) and their circumstances .. the earlier comment was quite accurate, so check each aspect carefully

Quick Reply

Latest