The Student Room Group

Starting to do Teacher training but finances are tricky

Hi I'm a mum of two children, had a recent mortgage and just offered a place to do teacher training. I'm really longing for this moment as I had put this aside for a very long time due to family circumstances. Now I felt it's the right time and luckily I passed the interview and had an offer to do the course I'm just worried about the financial side of it. Wil there be anyone here can enlighten me what's the best thing to do? Thanks
Original post by ladyjedi11
Hi I'm a mum of two children, had a recent mortgage and just offered a place to do teacher training. I'm really longing for this moment as I had put this aside for a very long time due to family circumstances. Now I felt it's the right time and luckily I passed the interview and had an offer to do the course I'm just worried about the financial side of it. Wil there be anyone here can enlighten me what's the best thing to do? Thanks

Hi there!

Congratulations on your offer to do teacher training!

I am a student at YSJ studying primary education, and although I do not have any children, I know a few students who have young children and study simultaneously. When applying for student finance, you will get a tuition loan to cover the costs of the course and then your maintenance loan will get additional benefits due to having children. While I am unsure of how much this will be exactly, you provide information to the student finance team who will support you with childcare fees if you qualify for it. They will also take into account if you have no contact to parents and support yourself which would give you extra help. In addition, most universities will have financial support teams who help you in times of need. A lot of universities have also adjusted their prices in canteens or on-campus cafes in light of the cost of living crisis. For example, my university have opened a food bank this year where students can sign in and take food out such as cereal or tins, as well as get a supermarket voucher to help towards their weekly shop. We also have reduced prices for societies and on-campus costa.

I hope this helps! I think that ultimately research into what kind of offers the university which you are going to has to support their students financially as well as looking into what the government additionally offer to students with children would help you to understand more what would occur.

I wish you the best of luck. :smile:

Rachel
YSJ Student Rep
Reply 2
Thank you so much on your reply. I will ask around and hopefully I will get some answers that suits my current situation.

Take care 😘
Thank you so much on your reply. I will ask around and hopefully I will get some answers that suits my current situation.

Take care 😘

You are very welcome. Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

Hi @ladyjedi11,

Congratulations on your offer!

Rachel _ysj is right, PGCE students actually apply for undergraduate funding to support them while studying and so you will get a tuition loan, to cover the costs of the course and then a maintenance loan, to help support you while studying. You might find it useful to use the Student Finance calculator on the GOV.UK website to find out how much funding you can get.

Depending on what PGCE course you are about to study, you might also be eligible for a bursary or scholarship. You can view the full list of scholarships and bursaries here.

I hope this is useful.

Pippa
Course Enquiries Team
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending