The Student Room Group

Benefits

Hi, I'm a single mum and live in rented house with two children with one being disabled and I receive UC and DLA and Carers Allowance.
I am wanting to sign up to the open university for a degree in law next year. I am just wondering if I do sign up to this will this affect my benefits and if so how much.
Thank you.
Hi cwalmsley,

If you are applying for funding for the Open University you will usually only be eligible for a tuition fee loan and this will not affect your eligibility to benefits

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by cwalmsley
Hi, I'm a single mum and live in rented house with two children with one being disabled and I receive UC and DLA and Carers Allowance.
I am wanting to sign up to the open university for a degree in law next year. I am just wondering if I do sign up to this will this affect my benefits and if so how much.
Thank you.

Hi there. Applying for a student loan may affect your benefits. However, you would be best discussing with your benefits provider, as it may affect some and not others.

Information on Universal credit and applying for a student loan can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-students

Please note that Open University courses are classed as distance learning. Therefore, you would not be entitled to a Maintenance Loan (Tuition Fees only), unless you have a disability that prevents you from attending a university in person and we would require evidence of this.

Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending