The Student Room Group

Work Experience

I had a very similar time when doing work experience. What helped me is to remember you are experiencing one specific work environment, culture, set of people. Part of work experience is to start figuring out the type of role and company you would want to work in. In honesty, it will probably take several years of entering the work force full-time to really figure this out, but the bad experiences are as helpful as the good ones. Now you know that wherever you're working right now, probably isn't the right place for you.
Hi @ldtr7x

I feel work experience is one of those first 'scary' opportunities that help us face our anxiety quite abruptly. I've seen terms 'imposter syndrome' used quite a lot when talking about this. We will have so many more experiences like this as we get older but, because it's one of the first introduction into the working world, it of course feels quite daunting and unnatural to us.

One thing to look out for is to make sure if the thoughts you're having about your co-workers is true or not (most of the time it's all in our heads). Then, what I do, is constantly try remind myself "I'm meant to be here" "I deserve to be here" - you've worked hard to get where you are right now so don't let these anxious moments hold you back! You really do kind of 'fake it till you make it'. These people at your work experience will be more concerned about themselves and their own work so, if you turned up one day and decided to really make an effort and switch up how you come across/get involved it will just seem as though you're finally settling in and getting used to being around new faces. Which ultimately, will have a reverse effect on them - they will feel more comfortable to talk to you (making you ACTUALLY feel less anxious). Taking that first step will be hard of course, but take your time and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Remember, this is one experience out of thousands more you will have in your lifetime, and the more you practice at something, the better it becomes.

Wishing you all the best and good luck on your work experience :smile:
Ellie
Reply 3
Original post by UniofChester Rep
Hi @ldtr7x

I feel work experience is one of those first 'scary' opportunities that help us face our anxiety quite abruptly. I've seen terms 'imposter syndrome' used quite a lot when talking about this. We will have so many more experiences like this as we get older but, because it's one of the first introduction into the working world, it of course feels quite daunting and unnatural to us.

One thing to look out for is to make sure if the thoughts you're having about your co-workers is true or not (most of the time it's all in our heads). Then, what I do, is constantly try remind myself "I'm meant to be here" "I deserve to be here" - you've worked hard to get where you are right now so don't let these anxious moments hold you back! You really do kind of 'fake it till you make it'. These people at your work experience will be more concerned about themselves and their own work so, if you turned up one day and decided to really make an effort and switch up how you come across/get involved it will just seem as though you're finally settling in and getting used to being around new faces. Which ultimately, will have a reverse effect on them - they will feel more comfortable to talk to you (making you ACTUALLY feel less anxious). Taking that first step will be hard of course, but take your time and don't put too much pressure on yourself. Remember, this is one experience out of thousands more you will have in your lifetime, and the more you practice at something, the better it becomes.

Wishing you all the best and good luck on your work experience :smile:
Ellie

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Has made me feel a lot better :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I had a very similar time when doing work experience. What helped me is to remember you are experiencing one specific work environment, culture, set of people. Part of work experience is to start figuring out the type of role and company you would want to work in. In honesty, it will probably take several years of entering the work force full-time to really figure this out, but the bad experiences are as helpful as the good ones. Now you know that wherever you're working right now, probably isn't the right place for you.

Thank you so much. I feel a lot better knowing that other people have felt the exact same as me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest