The Student Room Group

Driving anxiety after hitting the curb...

I had finally passed my driver's license exam and started to drive to school on a daily basis. I have my own car, it's quite big. At first I was getting really comfortable behind the wheel, I can even say that it has been enjoyable for me to operate a car. I was making more and more progress and then I had to drive my grandma to the doctor's approximately 30 miles away.

I had GPS on my phone and when I approached a tricky intersection I looked to the right and then I hit the curb breaking my front right tire completely and curving a rim. This all happened because of my carelessnes. I was so ashamed of myself... Family told me they support me, but I guess they were disappointed since I could commute daily in my hometown but I failed to go through a longer distance. My father had to cancel work and sit behind the wheel instead of me.

The thing is, I've been anxious ever since. I took off SSRI a month ago and everything seems to be falling apart. Now that my car is repaired I force myself to practice with dad sitting beside me. I'm out of my mind when it's time to turn right or when the road is uneven and the car bumps on it. My broken finger doesn't help at all. Tomorrow I have to get my school leaving certificate and I guess I'll just stay home, check the results online and pick it up another day. I can't take the bus - it's embarrassing for me. I'm playing driving simulators and my steering is just alright, IRL it's far from great. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a driver.
Original post by Anonymous
I had finally passed my driver's license exam and started to drive to school on a daily basis. I have my own car, it's quite big. At first I was getting really comfortable behind the wheel, I can even say that it has been enjoyable for me to operate a car. I was making more and more progress and then I had to drive my grandma to the doctor's approximately 30 miles away.

I had GPS on my phone and when I approached a tricky intersection I looked to the right and then I hit the curb breaking my front right tire completely and curving a rim. This all happened because of my carelessnes. I was so ashamed of myself... Family told me they support me, but I guess they were disappointed since I could commute daily in my hometown but I failed to go through a longer distance. My father had to cancel work and sit behind the wheel instead of me.

The thing is, I've been anxious ever since. I took off SSRI a month ago and everything seems to be falling apart. Now that my car is repaired I force myself to practice with dad sitting beside me. I'm out of my mind when it's time to turn right or when the road is uneven and the car bumps on it. My broken finger doesn't help at all. Tomorrow I have to get my school leaving certificate and I guess I'll just stay home, check the results online and pick it up another day. I can't take the bus - it's embarrassing for me. I'm playing driving simulators and my steering is just alright, IRL it's far from great. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a driver.

I would spend some time just doing small local journeys in your car like errands to the shops just to build your confidence back up. Don't force it, you don't have to push yourself to do longer trips until you are ready. At the end of the day, it is just a car - I have been driving for nearly 40 years and I've had to replace quite a few wheels and tyres in that time through clipping a kerb, it is easily done especially on a larger car. Maybe think about swapping your car for a smaller model, these are easier to judge and you are less likely to clip a rear wheel in a tight corner?
I think a lot of people have this idea that as soon as you pass your driving test - that's it, you can drive. Pretty much everyone who's been driving for a long time has had at least the odd scrape or bump at some point. It sounds like you're getting into your own head about. I'd agree not to push yourself, it might even be worth taking a short break from driving then picking it back up slowly. Loads of people never learn to drive so don't feel like you have to rush it.
Also, don't be embarrassed by taking the bus...it's better for the environment 🌎🙂

Quick Reply

Latest