The Student Room Group

Best Universities for a chemistry degree?

applying for unis soon, just wanted some personal opinions on different unis in the uk from other people who are studying chem there. thx
Original post by kat_09
applying for unis soon, just wanted some personal opinions on different unis in the uk from other people who are studying chem there. thx

I’m not yet at uni, but I will be studying chemistry at uni, starting in October.

First and foremost, it would help to know what subjects you are taking (other than chemistry) and what grades you are predicted. That way, it would be easier to recommend universities you would be able to get into and avoid recommending unis that you vastly exceed the entry requirements for.

Whilst you can use things like league tables, I wouldn’t let them sway your decision.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kat_09

something i wish i was told before applying was that for chemistry it doesn't matter what uni you go to within reason. Employers aren't really fussed about reputation its more about what you have done when you were doing your degree. Such as the optional subjects you took and what research projects you were apart of. So if i were you I would explore the different chemistry courses available and the modules you will be taking as this can vary quite a bit uni to uni. Personally i chose bath because of their experiance in pharma and drug design, if i wanted something different i probobally would've chosen somewhere else... Chemistry degrees are brilliant in the UK due to links with industry and how much research is being done in the uk
Original post by kat_09

Hi @kat_09,

I'm a second-year Chemistry student at Lancaster University so I can offer some insight to how I've found studying chemistry here.

The chemistry department here is relatively small as there are around 40 people in my year group. However, the department has a good teaching and research reputation. I find that most of the lecturers are helpful when you have questions, which is always good when you don't understand things. Also, it is an RSC accredited course. Due to this, I get to spend a lot of time in the lab (1-2 afternoons a week in first year and 1 full day per week in 2nd year). This is important for me because the skills you develop in the lab during these years you use in your third and fourth year projects.

Personally, I love Lancaster because I always preferred campus unis and the campus here is so good. Additionally, the collegiate system drew me because it is like a small community and each college always has different events on. The location is also perfect because it's easy to get to loads of other places by train and it was just a few hours from home for me.

When choosing a university, it's essential to consider factors such as course offerings, research opportunities, faculty expertise, campus culture, and location. However, the best university for you will depend on your individual preferences, goals, and fit with the institution. In my opinion the best way to figure out which uni to go to is to visit during open days and offer holder events because it really helps you to see yourself there and you get the chance to chat to academics and students.

I wish you the best of luck with your university applications and studies in chemistry!
-Beth (Lancaster University Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending