The Student Room Group

I've really had enough and thinking of quitting my masters

Hi everyone,

Since September 2022 I have been studying an MSc Computer Science conversion course. Whilst it was going alright, and I was generally passing, the past few months have been awful.

At the end of May I'd had a blackout episode which caused me to hit my head and end up in the hospital. Whilst there, I was also referred to a cardiologist due to a history of blackouts and an abnormality in one of my ECGs. I am still currently under investigation with the cardiologist and due for some scans over the next couple months.
Because of the above incident, I had missed a semester 2 exam, which I have been offered to resit as a first attempt with no capped marks, during this August's resit period. However, I also have to resit a couple CW modules as a friend (who I've known for 5 years) copied 2 of my entire coursework assessments without my knowledge. Something which also deteriorated my mental health due to the betrayal I felt.

I have been contacted by my school to make my intentions known, in terms of what I will resit this August and if I want to delay/defer my MSc Dissertation Project which is currently underway and due at the end of Sept.

A silver lining is that I have been offered a job on a graduate technology program which I'm very excited to start this September. I'm currently going through the onboarding process for that, providing references, right to work checks etc.

My initial idea was to defer my MSc Project giving the deadline in Nov for the final presentation and Dec for the final thesis- however there is a chance that this may have financial implications, I am waiting on a response from the fees administration office for the specifics on the matter.

My mental and physical health has really suffered due to the events of the past few months and the thought of having to also suffer financially is only beating me down more. I genuinely want to quit. I know it's so close to the end and I feel like a failure for saying this, but I just want a fresh start with my job.

I don't even know where I'm going with this post but I guess my question is, will quitting my MSc give a bad impression to my future employer. The requirement for the graduate program was a 2:1 undergraduate degree which I met and have provided them with degree certificate for it, so if I do go ahead and quit should I inform them of my circumstances?

I'm just really done with it all and simply don't have the funds to cover any potential financial repercussions for deferring the MSc dissertation. I'd rather recover and look after my health for the next couple months, than spend it juggling resits, the dissertation and hospital appointments.

I'd really appreciate any insights from anyone.
Thanks
Original post by aerogoat99
Hi everyone,

Since September 2022 I have been studying an MSc Computer Science conversion course. Whilst it was going alright, and I was generally passing, the past few months have been awful.

At the end of May I'd had a blackout episode which caused me to hit my head and end up in the hospital. Whilst there, I was also referred to a cardiologist due to a history of blackouts and an abnormality in one of my ECGs. I am still currently under investigation with the cardiologist and due for some scans over the next couple months.
Because of the above incident, I had missed a semester 2 exam, which I have been offered to resit as a first attempt with no capped marks, during this August's resit period. However, I also have to resit a couple CW modules as a friend (who I've known for 5 years) copied 2 of my entire coursework assessments without my knowledge. Something which also deteriorated my mental health due to the betrayal I felt.

I have been contacted by my school to make my intentions known, in terms of what I will resit this August and if I want to delay/defer my MSc Dissertation Project which is currently underway and due at the end of Sept.

A silver lining is that I have been offered a job on a graduate technology program which I'm very excited to start this September. I'm currently going through the onboarding process for that, providing references, right to work checks etc.

My initial idea was to defer my MSc Project giving the deadline in Nov for the final presentation and Dec for the final thesis- however there is a chance that this may have financial implications, I am waiting on a response from the fees administration office for the specifics on the matter.

My mental and physical health has really suffered due to the events of the past few months and the thought of having to also suffer financially is only beating me down more. I genuinely want to quit. I know it's so close to the end and I feel like a failure for saying this, but I just want a fresh start with my job.

I don't even know where I'm going with this post but I guess my question is, will quitting my MSc give a bad impression to my future employer. The requirement for the graduate program was a 2:1 undergraduate degree which I met and have provided them with degree certificate for it, so if I do go ahead and quit should I inform them of my circumstances?

I'm just really done with it all and simply don't have the funds to cover any potential financial repercussions for deferring the MSc dissertation. I'd rather recover and look after my health for the next couple months, than spend it juggling resits, the dissertation and hospital appointments.

I'd really appreciate any insights from anyone.
Thanks

You have to put your health and mental health first as a priority, especially given everything that's going on for you. If you're really done with it and can't face anymore then even if you did resit etc. would it be likely that you'd pass if your motivation isn't there? If you have a job lined up which you want to do then that's good. You could potentially go back to studying if you wanted to, for example if your health/mental health improves and you were in a better place financially. Worth checking out if you'd have to pay back any loans etc. Also worth having a chat to any personal tutor/Uni staff to check over things too. A lot of people leave courses part way through if it's not right for them, I can't say it won't impact at all on future employment but it's unlikely to be 'the be all and end all', especially since you have a job lined up anyway. Best of luck with it all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending