The Student Room Group

Preparation for Postgrade

So I've been accepted onto an MA course in Cultural Studies in September, part-time.

Now the Admissions tutor has given me some subjects to read about/research. So at the moment, I'm spending a few hours a day looking into these subjects. She told me to email her when I want more specific ideas for research, so I'll do that once I think I have a handle on the current stuff.

I got a book from the library today about how to study/research and write essays/dissertations. So I'll make notes and study this book too.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do to get myself ready for my Masters. It's been 6 years since University, so I'm rather worried about wether or not I will be ready to get back into academia fast enough.

Any advice on what you wish you would have done or think I should do with the next 5 ish months I have.
Original post by Schnauzerquester
So I've been accepted onto an MA course in Cultural Studies in September, part-time.
Now the Admissions tutor has given me some subjects to read about/research. So at the moment, I'm spending a few hours a day looking into these subjects. She told me to email her when I want more specific ideas for research, so I'll do that once I think I have a handle on the current stuff.
I got a book from the library today about how to study/research and write essays/dissertations. So I'll make notes and study this book too.
I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do to get myself ready for my Masters. It's been 6 years since University, so I'm rather worried about wether or not I will be ready to get back into academia fast enough.
Any advice on what you wish you would have done or think I should do with the next 5 ish months I have.
Hey there! :biggrin: I think you're already doing a really good job in your prep. It seems like you have a good Admissions department that are really keen to support students with the transition in to Postgraduate study which is brilliant. Academically if you're doing the course prep and the pre-assignment prep (understanding essay writing, referencing etc) then that's perfect.

Do you have to move far for your Masters or will you be quite local to home? If you are moving away maybe you could do a bit of prep around what your student life will look like - e.g. where you're going to live, what the commute is like, or if you're working a few hours alongside your studies how to balance that.

It's also a good idea to start on any important financial things and making sure your funding etc is all in place :smile:

I'd also recommend trying to engage with current students if you can to get a feel for what their experiences have been - you can maybe find some in the University's forum here or by using a peer to peer platform like Unibuddy for example.

Wishing you loads of luck for your course!! Cultural Studies sounds like a really interesting area!

Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by Schnauzerquester
Hey @Schnauzerquester - how are you? :smile:

Congrats on been accepted onto the Cultural Studies course, that's exciting! It's great you're thinking ahead and starting to prepare yourself early. Have you had a think about how you'll find a work life balance? If you can find out how many hours you'll be spending in lectures and seminars you can start to think of how you'll structure your calendar and how you'll prioritise your mental health and wellbeing too as that's so important! You could also have a think about study locations as well on and off campus and where you'll work most effectively. Is there anything new you can buy in advance to help with staying organised? Or have a look at some mobile apps that help with productivity, organisation and/or motivation! :smile:

It sounds like you're on the right track with everything though and already thinking ahead, so I have faith you've got this! Good luck with your studies :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending