The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Is it too early for me to apply to the trainee PWP course at UCL?

Hi,

So I'm currently wondering about the feasibility of applying to become a trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner. I'm wanting to apply for a February 2023 intake place on the Low Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Interventions PG Cert offered by UCL in order to train to become a PWP. I am under the impression that applications for this open around November 2022. However, I am worried that applying with the experience and qualifications I currently have may be fruitless because I don't yet have enough experience, but I'm not sure. Heres's a brief summary of my qualifications and experience:

- First Class Psychology with Clinical Approaches BSc (GBC and BPS accredited)
- First Class Neuroscience MSc (I thought I wanted to become a researcher but then changed my mind!)
- Full time permanent role on a PICU since February 2022. By the time I'd apply I'd have 9/10 months experience, by the time of intake I'd have approximately 1 year's experience. I sometimes take on bank shifts on acute and older person's wards, and now and then I also get redeployed to these other wards. I also have Place of Safety (Section 136) experience
- I worked 3 days a week in an unrelated job throughout my undergraduate and master's degrees, which I believe is relevant as it demonstrates an ability to work and study successfully, which is essential to the trainee PWP role

I would like to know if people think that I would be at all likely to receive an interview from my first application (if I apply in November) - I know that usually it take more than one application to successfully gain a place on a trainee PWP course, but even getting the interview practice would be great!

I'd also be interested to hear if it's actually possible to gain a place with less than one year's experience in mental health. I am wondering whether it's realistically too early for me to apply and therefore I should hold off an wait until I've got at least say, 1 year's experience, or whether I should get the first application out of the way, hope for the best and continue applying after I inevitably get rejected the first time. My plan is to continue with my current job whilst keeping on applying until I am successful, but do we think full time experience as an HCA in a psychiatric inpatient setting will be enough in terms of experience, or should I be looking for related job roles at some point? I'd be really interested to hear about the qualifications and experience that those who have successfully got onto trainee PWP courses had when they applied, if they don't mind sharing.

Thanks in advance, good luck to those still waiting to hear back from October intake applications and congrats to those who were successful!
(edited 1 year ago)
I think you would. No harm in trying!!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by longhair
Hi,

So I'm currently wondering about the feasibility of applying to become a trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner. I'm wanting to apply for a February 2023 intake place on the Low Intensity Cognitive Behavioural Interventions PG Cert offered by UCL in order to train to become a PWP. I am under the impression that applications for this open around November 2022. However, I am worried that applying with the experience and qualifications I currently have may be fruitless because I don't yet have enough experience, but I'm not sure. Heres's a brief summary of my qualifications and experience:

- First Class Psychology with Clinical Approaches BSc (GBC and BPS accredited)
- First Class Neuroscience MSc (I thought I wanted to become a researcher but then changed my mind!)
- Full time permanent role on a PICU since February 2022. By the time I'd apply I'd have 9/10 months experience, by the time of intake I'd have approximately 1 year's experience. I sometimes take on bank shifts on acute and older person's wards, and now and then I also get redeployed to these other wards. I also have Place of Safety (Section 136) experience
- I worked 3 days a week in an unrelated job throughout my undergraduate and master's degrees, which I believe is relevant as it demonstrates an ability to work and study successfully, which is essential to the trainee PWP role

I would like to know if people think that I would be at all likely to receive an interview from my first application (if I apply in November) - I know that usually it take more than one application to successfully gain a place on a trainee PWP course, but even getting the interview practice would be great!

I'd also be interested to hear if it's actually possible to gain a place with less than one year's experience in mental health. I am wondering whether it's realistically too early for me to apply and therefore I should hold off an wait until I've got at least say, 1 year's experience, or whether I should get the first application out of the way, hope for the best and continue applying after I inevitably get rejected the first time. My plan is to continue with my current job whilst keeping on applying until I am successful, but do we think full time experience as an HCA in a psychiatric inpatient setting will be enough in terms of experience, or should I be looking for related job roles at some point? I'd be really interested to hear about the qualifications and experience that those who have successfully got onto trainee PWP courses had when they applied, if they don't mind sharing.

Thanks in advance, good luck to those still waiting to hear back from October intake applications and congrats to those who were successful!

Was previously a PWP and i got on before undergrad was even done and with minimal experience. Your cv sounds great and far better than mine was, i think you stand a good chance. There are looking for reflection skills, i.e. what you learnt about self/others during experience, and obviously some knowledge of iapt and cbt. I would also consider thinking about how you can convince them you want pwp role not just a stepping stone, as your cv is very academic and they may think your just using role as a stop gap (which is very common, and something they try and root out).

Really good luck with application,

Greg
Reply 3
Original post by greg tony
Was previously a PWP and i got on before undergrad was even done and with minimal experience. Your cv sounds great and far better than mine was, i think you stand a good chance. There are looking for reflection skills, i.e. what you learnt about self/others during experience, and obviously some knowledge of iapt and cbt. I would also consider thinking about how you can convince them you want pwp role not just a stepping stone, as your cv is very academic and they may think your just using role as a stop gap (which is very common, and something they try and root out).

Really good luck with application,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your reply, it's really helpful advice, especially from someone who has been successful in the role! I completely get that, I know it's very common for people to do PWP work for 1-2 years and then use the experience to get onto a Clinical Psychology doctorate. Whilst I wouldn't totally rule out wanting to pursue that or similar in the future, I am 24 (maybe slightly on the younger side of PWP applicants) and to me at this point in my life and career, being a PWP is a very viable career path for me. The thought of doing a doctorate before 30 seems pretty daunting, so if I ever decided to pursue another career path after PWP, it wouldn't be for several years if at all. I'm hoping that if I become one, I'll find it satisying enough as a job to continue for a significant amount of time and maybe become senior PWP eventually. I will make sure to show my enthusiasm for the PWP role only and not mention any other future pursuits! Whilst my CV is quite academic, I will ensure to explain that I want to train to practice therapy and work face to face with service users, which is why I have strayed away from the academia/research path after my postgraduate degree and went straight into an intense 1:1 patient contact role as an HCA in an inpatient setting.

Again, thanks for the very useful information and that spark of hope you've given me that I could at some point get a place with this experience. Thanks for the good luck and take care!
Reply 4
Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your reply, it's really helpful advice, especially from someone who has been successful in the role! I completely get that, I know it's very common for people to do PWP work for 1-2 years and then use the experience to get onto a Clinical Psychology doctorate. Whilst I wouldn't totally rule out wanting to pursue that or similar in the future, I am 24 (maybe slightly on the younger side of PWP applicants) and to me at this point in my life and career, being a PWP is a very viable career path for me. The thought of doing a doctorate before 30 seems pretty daunting, so if I ever decided to pursue another career path after PWP, it wouldn't be for several years if at all. I'm hoping that if I become one, I'll find it satisying enough as a job to continue for a significant amount of time and maybe become senior PWP eventually. I will make sure to show my enthusiasm for the PWP role only and not mention any other future pursuits! Whilst my CV is quite academic, I will ensure to explain that I want to train to practice therapy and work face to face with service users, which is why I have strayed away from the academia/research path after my postgraduate degree and went straight into an intense 1:1 patient contact role as an HCA in an inpatient setting.

Again, thanks for the very useful information and that spark of hope you've given me that I could at some point get a place with this experience. Thanks for the good luck and take care!

I'd say definitely go for it, you just never really know. I've seen lots of posts in forums about people with less than 1 year experience getting onto the course and others with lots of experience not even getting an interview. I think it really depends on the quality of your personal statement and who's reading it. You may not get an interview the first time or you may end up with the job, you just don't know unless you try! Definitely apply to as many different services as you can as well, they're all competitive, but some much more so than others.

As an aside, I had a friend get onto the PWP course at around your age and she graduated last year with her PhD in Clinical Psych at 29, so it's all possible :smile: might even be good to start trying now and see if you get on it, because they've changed the rules and you can't apply for any paid training, including the Clin Psych PhD, for 2 years after completing paid training. So if you get on the PWP course you'll have 2 years to decide if you want to move up or try something else.

Also, mostly just wanted to say that I believe the February 2023 intake will open to applications in September, not November. Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it!
Reply 5
Not sure how you got on..
But I have trainees on my course who are 20/21.. so not too young at all - so don’t let that put you off.
With your skill set I’d just be careful, does your masters have any relevance to the iapt and pwp role? Is it even worth going into detail about that on your application? A psych degree is so so common what can you add to that to stand out

Iapt is high case load high turnover. They Need to see your experience within a high pressured environment as the burnout within the role is so high
They also want someone who will stay in the pwp role as the dropout is so high and staff shortage

Think about some of those things. I hope that helps

Hi Greg,

Hi Greg,

Hi, I know I am late to this thread but I'm looking for as much advice/tips as possible as I am nearing the end of my master's psychology conversion course at Cardiff University. As an international student with experience only in India, my options seem quite limited, which is quite daunting considering psychology related jobs are extremely competitive anyway. My CV isn't half as good as yours and I'm planning to apply for PWP trainee roles after getting some experience. My placement right now involves research work in adolescent mental health, which might not add anything to my application I'm afraid. It seems like a quite hopeless and overwhelming journey ahead but any help from people who are pursuing the same path as I want to would be incredible. Please try to get back whenever you can, thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I know I am late to this thread but I'm looking for as much advice/tips as possible as I am nearing the end of my master's psychology conversion course at Cardiff University. As an international student with experience only in India, my options seem quite limited, which is quite daunting considering psychology related jobs are extremely competitive anyway. My CV isn't half as good as yours and I'm planning to apply for PWP trainee roles after getting some experience. My placement right now involves research work in adolescent mental health, which might not add anything to my application I'm afraid. It seems like a quite hopeless and overwhelming journey ahead but any help from people who are pursuing the same path as I want to would be incredible. Please try to get back whenever you can, thank you.

It sounds like you've got a good start but you'd definitely benefit from actual clinical work, not just research. I had both (clinical and research) when I applied for the TPWP position and I didn't even touch on my research work because it seemed irrelevant to the role. There are almost always jobs available as a support worker so I'd look for those. It's OK if it's not working with patients specifically with depression/anxiety (I worked with people with a range of different diagnoses, from schizophrenia to severe personality disorders), just any clinical work where you're dealing with patients directly will be a great start.

I was also an international student doing my MSc in psychology and I had zero experience working in mental health (either here or at home) at that point, so I started working as a HCA/support worker and it was a fantastic experience (albeit it doesn't pay well).

Best of luck with your future applications!
Original post by e.mu.77
It sounds like you've got a good start but you'd definitely benefit from actual clinical work, not just research. I had both (clinical and research) when I applied for the TPWP position and I didn't even touch on my research work because it seemed irrelevant to the role. There are almost always jobs available as a support worker so I'd look for those. It's OK if it's not working with patients specifically with depression/anxiety (I worked with people with a range of different diagnoses, from schizophrenia to severe personality disorders), just any clinical work where you're dealing with patients directly will be a great start.

I was also an international student doing my MSc in psychology and I had zero experience working in mental health (either here or at home) at that point, so I started working as a HCA/support worker and it was a fantastic experience (albeit it doesn't pay well).

Best of luck with your future applications!

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Apologies for the late response, I didn't get notified for this. I have been volunteering at different organisations, working part-time as a TA at a special needs school and soon starting work as a activities support worker at a homeless charity. Its a relief to hear that international students can apply for PWP trainee positions, I have heard from some sources that most universities don't take students on a graduate scheme visa(tier 4 or PSW). I joined a PG cert counselling psychology course in September but I had to withdraw from it because it was a part-time courses that did not allow any sort of paid or unpaid work on the side. Could you please let me know if there was any issues when you applied for trainee positions and if they are open to visa holders.
Following thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending