The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships after graduation?

I'm graduating in a few months and I'm figuring out what job to go on to. I want to do a masters but I'm waiting since I'm not fully decided yet on what exactly I want to study. My undergrad is in Asian studies but I want to be a child therapist later down the line and got myself some work experience as a nursery assistant to start me off this year. Now I'm looking for an appropriate graduate role, and since my degree leaves me without a specific qualification, I'm trying to figure out what route to take. If I do an apprenticeship, should I go straight into level 3 or do level 2 first? Does anyone have experience of doing an apprenticeship after graduation, especially in childcare?
Original post by bulbethaur
I'm graduating in a few months and I'm figuring out what job to go on to. I want to do a masters but I'm waiting since I'm not fully decided yet on what exactly I want to study. My undergrad is in Asian studies but I want to be a child therapist later down the line and got myself some work experience as a nursery assistant to start me off this year. Now I'm looking for an appropriate graduate role, and since my degree leaves me without a specific qualification, I'm trying to figure out what route to take. If I do an apprenticeship, should I go straight into level 3 or do level 2 first? Does anyone have experience of doing an apprenticeship after graduation, especially in childcare?

Why don’t you do a masters degree in counselling? Then you don’t need to do an apprenticeship, since you already have a degree. Then you can go into the NHS to do this as a graduate.
Reply 2
Original post by greentiger
Why don’t you do a masters degree in counselling? Then you don’t need to do an apprenticeship, since you already have a degree. Then you can go into the NHS to do this as a graduate.
I considered this but I can't really afford to do a masters and I'm still very undecided on what exactly to do.
What do you mean your degree leaves you without a specific qualification? Won't you come out with a degree in Asian studies? A Level 3 apprenticeship is equal to 2 A-levels so doesn't make sense to me at all after doing a degree. Why don't you do a PGCE if you want to work with kids?
Reply 4
Original post by Jakson123
What do you mean your degree leaves you without a specific qualification? Won't you come out with a degree in Asian studies? A Level 3 apprenticeship is equal to 2 A-levels so doesn't make sense to me at all after doing a degree. Why don't you do a PGCE if you want to work with kids?
I mean that I don't have a career I'm qualified to go straight into like some other courses, so unless I study more, I'll have to do a generic graduate role (and I have no clue what lol). I can't really afford graduate study so I'd have to do part time and work, and in terms of PGCE specifically I don't want to be a primary school teacher 😂 It sounds way too hard lol. My thinking was I'd have relevant experience with kids for a counselling or therapy course but I'd also be getting paid and I'd have the nursing qualification under my belt
Original post by bulbethaur
I mean that I don't have a career I'm qualified to go straight into like some other courses, so unless I study more, I'll have to do a generic graduate role (and I have no clue what lol). I can't really afford graduate study so I'd have to do part time and work, and in terms of PGCE specifically I don't want to be a primary school teacher 😂 It sounds way too hard lol. My thinking was I'd have relevant experience with kids for a counselling or therapy course but I'd also be getting paid and I'd have the nursing qualification under my belt

I’m still a bit confused why you did an Asian studies degree if you want to go into something completely unrelated though. There isn’t much point in getting a degree for it to be unused, would you not want to go into something history related?

As the user above mentioned, it’s like going back to A Level equivalent, what’s the point in that?

I think you’d be much better in going on to do something with your degree or do the next step to possibly become a teacher with kids, or go into the NHS to work with kids, as they accept graduates of all various degrees quite often.
Reply 6
Original post by greentiger
I’m still a bit confused why you did an Asian studies degree if you want to go into something completely unrelated though. There isn’t much point in getting a degree for it to be unused, would you not want to go into something history related?

As the user above mentioned, it’s like going back to A Level equivalent, what’s the point in that?

I think you’d be much better in going on to do something with your degree or do the next step to possibly become a teacher with kids, or go into the NHS to work with kids, as they accept graduates of all various degrees quite often.
I chose my degree in 2018 since I'd wanted to be an English teacher abroad throughout my teens but I've grown up a lot since then (I've taken a gap year and repeated a year so that's why I'm only just graduating) and realised that languages aren't for me in terms of career and at this point in my life I'm not ready to go abroad alone. I realised about 2 years ago I'd be much more suited to social studies and psychology based routes and that I wanted to work with kids but after researching found that it's hard to get into without experience. I've really struggled financially throughout this degree and don't want to be in the same position with my masters but I'm also afraid that I'm not qualified enough for anything I'd actually enjoy doing. I would've changed my degree but I was already 3 years in and didn't have the money. A lot of masters courses in therapy etc require certain bachelors or experience too.
A GCSE or A-level equivalent (Level 2/3) course in child care is not going to help you at all I don't think. You probably need a degree in psychology or similar and then a post grad degree plus a lot of hours of experience to be taken seriously as a psychotherapist. Therapist is not a protected title in the UK though, you can call yourself a therapist today if you like. Even to be a counsellor you needs years of training and experience although again it's not a protected title.

I don't know if there are apprenticeships for counselling/therapy but it would be completely pointless to do anything less than a level 6 when you already have a degree in my opinion. Otherwise it's going to take you forever to get qualified highly enough.

I think you'd probably be better off looking at what you are qualified for and working from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending