The Student Room Group

Points of inflection on a function of 9 degree

I am recapping my whole A-Level from the beginning via an online course.

I have learned something that I previously overlooked regarding stationary points, or perhaps I forgot it.

The most obvious is that turning points are clearly stationary points but I recently learned that some inflection points can also be considered stationary.

I’m told that inflection stationary points count as two points due to there being two hidden turning points or something.

So, the max turning points on a graph with degree 9, would be 8.

Max inflection stationary points would be 4?

As I totally overlooked these inflections, I’m not 100% certain.

IMG_6252.jpeg
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by KingRich

I have learned something that I previously overlooked regarding stationary points, or perhaps I forgot it.

The most obvious is that turning points are clearly stationary points but I recently learned that some inflection points can also be considered stationary.

I’m told that inflection stationary points count as two points due to there being two hidden turning points or something.

IMG_6252.jpeg

The question is asking for the number of stationary inflexion points (inflexion, NOT inflection. Are you taking an American course?)

[[Incorrect explanation removed - I didn't read the Q properly. See better answers below.]]
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Meltboy7778
The question is asking for the number of stationary inflexion points (inflexion, NOT inflection. Are you taking an American course?)

Try to think about the maths involved - in order to be a point of inflexion, the second derivative of a point must be zero. Essentially, you reduce the order of your original function to give you a new one whose roots give you the points of inflexion.
Therefore, the answer would be 7.

A stationary inflexion point requires the first derivative to also be zero, surely?

My take (@mqb2766 - slightly different from yours)

If f is your original poly, and f' its derivative (so degree 8), then for aia_i to be a stationary inflexion point we must have f(ai)=f(ai)=0f'(a_i) = f''(a_i) = 0 and so (xai)2(x-a_i)^2 divides f'.

So you can have at most 4 (distinct) stationary inflexion points.

e.g. x2(x1)2(x2)2(x3)2dx \int x^2(x-1)^2(x-2)^2(x-3)^2 dx (cut paste version: \int x^2(x-1)^2(x-2)^2(x-3)^2 dx)

which you can get Wolfram to plot directly without needing to do the integration (fortunately!).

Edit: Debatable if this is "beyond A-level" but it's certainly more a STEP-type question than an A-level one (at least if you want the answer to include justification).
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
A stationary inflexion point requires the first derivative to also be zero, surely?

If f is your original poly, and f' its derivative (so degree 8), then for aia_i to be a stationary inflexion point we must have f(ai)=f(ai)=0f'(a_i) = f''(a_i) = 0 and so (xai)2(x-a_i)^2 divides f'.

e.g. x2(x1)2(x2)2(x3)2dx \int x^2(x-1)^2(x-2)^2(x-3)^2 dx (cut paste version: \int x^2(x-1)^2(x-2)^2(x-3)^2 dx)

which you can get Wolfram to plot directly without needing to do the integration (fortunately!).

Edit: Debatable if this is "beyond A-level" but it's certainly more a STEP-type question than an A-level one (at least if you want the answer to include justification).

Was in the middle of making tea and was coming back to say somehting like this. So zero first and second derivative at each point (assume a sign change) (so two constraints for each statoinary point of inflection) and the vallue of the constant in the polynomial is irrelevant so (n-1)/2 which is 4 as you say.
(edited 9 months ago)

IMG_6252.jpeg

I'm having difficulty understanding what you are trying to say.

To be clear, we say a function f(x)f(x) has a stationary point when f(x)=0f'(x) = 0, and a point of inflection when f(x)=0f''(x) = 0 (and sign is swapped)

A stationary P.O.I is therefore one which satisfies f(x)=0f'(x) = 0 and f(x)=0f''(x) = 0.

For ff which are polynomials, ff'' has lower degree than ff' so it will have fewer solutions when put to 0. If ff has degree nn then f=0f'' = 0 has at most n2n-2 solutions. However, not all of them will be stationary points ...

We also need to take into account that if we want x=x0x=x_0 to be a sationary point of inflection, then (xx0)(x-x_0) must be a factor of ff' and ff''.

So if f(x)=Pn(x)f(x) = P_n(x) (poly of n degree) then

f(x)=Pn1(x)=(xx0)Q(x)f'(x) = P_{n-1}(x) = (x-x_0) Q(x)

and we also need

f(x)=Pn2(x)=Q(x)+(xx0)Q(x)=(xx0)R(x)f''(x) = P_{n-2}(x) = Q(x) + (x-x_0)Q'(x) = (x-x_0)R(x)

This implies that Q(x)Q(x) must have factor (xx0)(x-x_0).

Meaning that (xx0)2(x-x_0)^2 is a factor of ff'.

All this says that a single stationary point of inflection x0x_0 must have its corresponding factor (xx0)(x-x_0) occur at least once in factorised ff'' and at least twice in factorised ff'.

Now take a polynomial of degree 9 ... its first derivative is degree 8 so it can have at most 4 different roots (repeated twice), meaning the second derivative of order 7 will contain all these four roots at least once.

One such example is the function

f(x)=70x9315x8+180x7+840x6882x5630x4+840x3f(x) = 70 x^9 - 315 x^8 + 180 x^7 + 840 x^6 - 882 x^5 - 630 x^4 + 840 x^3

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/me2brwvwc2

edit: others beat me to it after i left my reply for 30 mins before posting!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5

Try to think about the maths involved - in order to be a point of inflexion, the second derivative of a point must be zero. Essentially, you reduce the order of your original function to give you a new one whose roots give you the points of inflexion.
Therefore, the answer would be 7.

Erm, it’s a U.K. based company and website.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Was in the middle of making tea and was coming back to say somehting like this. So zero first and second derivative at each point (assume a sign change) (so two constraints for each statoinary point of inflection) and the vallue of the constant in the polynomial is irrelevant so (n-1)/2 which is 4 as you say.

Original post by DFranklin

Okay, great.

So, I was right to say four, due to stationary inflection points having a gradient=0 hence, the concept of it being 0.

The course is okay but it’s not great. Their answer suggested 8 but their answer referred to stationary points as a whole ignoring the fact that the question specifically asked for inflection stationary points.

Thank you for confirmation. I have reported their error
Okay, great.

So, I was right to say four, due to stationary inflection points having a gradient=0 hence, the concept of it being 0.

The course is okay but it’s not great. Their answer suggested 8 but their answer referred to stationary points as a whole ignoring the fact that the question specifically asked for inflection stationary points.

Yeah... Not only were they wrong, they couldn't even spell inflexion right... Doesn't inspire confidence...
Reply 8
Okay, great.

I think the quesiton is wrong. Asking about the number of stationary points would be more a level.
Reply 9
Yeah... Not only were they wrong, they couldn't even spell inflexion right... Doesn't inspire confidence...

😅😅 I know right. I was second guessing myself, like first you say this and now you’re saying that.

to be honest, when I was using Cambridge A-level book, it too had a fair few mistakes as well in regards to answers.

example: y=e^x we know has a y-intercept at (0,1) but it also said the x-intercept for the inverse the y=In x graph, also has the same (0,1)…where it should be (1,0)

i don’t tend to have much luck with my choice of revision materials lol!
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
I think the quesiton is wrong. Asking about the number of stationary points would be more a level.

Do you mean, it was likely meant to be the maximum number of stationary points? Do you think inflexion points are not likely to be A-Level material then? It could explain why I don’t recall it from the book I studied
Reply 11
Do you mean, it was likely meant to be the maximum number of stationary points? Do you think inflexion points are not likely to be A-Level material then? It could explain why I don’t recall it from the book I studied

I think the quesiton was just asking about the number of stationary points and the extra "inflection" was a typo. Fairly obviously thats just the number of roots of the n-1 (derivative) polynomial so 8.

Inflexion is certainly an a level topic, but reasoning about it (stationary inflexion) in factorised polynomial form is probably beyond what would be expected.
Reply 12
Original post by RDKGames
I'm having difficulty understanding what you are trying to say.

To be clear, we say a function f(x)f(x) has a stationary point when f(x)=0f'(x) = 0, and a point of inflection when f(x)=0f''(x) = 0 (and sign is swapped)

A stationary P.O.I is therefore one which satisfies f(x)=0f'(x) = 0 and f(x)=0f''(x) = 0.

For ff which are polynomials, ff'' has lower degree than ff' so it will have fewer solutions when put to 0. If ff has degree nn then f=0f'' = 0 has at most n2n-2 solutions. However, not all of them will be stationary points ...

We also need to take into account that if we want x=x0x=x_0 to be a sationary point of inflection, then (xx0)(x-x_0) must be a factor of ff' and ff''.

So if f(x)=Pn(x)f(x) = P_n(x) (poly of n degree) then

f(x)=Pn1(x)=(xx0)Q(x)f'(x) = P_{n-1}(x) = (x-x_0) Q(x)

and we also need

f(x)=Pn2(x)=Q(x)+(xx0)Q(x)=(xx0)R(x)f''(x) = P_{n-2}(x) = Q(x) + (x-x_0)Q'(x) = (x-x_0)R(x)

This implies that Q(x)Q(x) must have factor (xx0)(x-x_0).

Meaning that (xx0)2(x-x_0)^2 is a factor of ff'.

All this says that a single stationary point of inflection x0x_0 must have its corresponding factor (xx0)(x-x_0) occur at least once in factorised ff'' and at least twice in factorised ff'.

Now take a polynomial of degree 9 ... its first derivative is degree 8 so it can have at most 4 different roots (repeated twice), meaning the second derivative of order 7 will contain all these four roots at least once.

One such example is the function

f(x)=70x9315x8+180x7+840x6882x5630x4+840x3f(x) = 70 x^9 - 315 x^8 + 180 x^7 + 840 x^6 - 882 x^5 - 630 x^4 + 840 x^3

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/me2brwvwc2

edit: others beat me to it after i left my reply for 30 mins before posting!

Do you have the instruction manual for using desmos lol. I can just about figure out how to add range values for x lol.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
I think the quesiton was just asking about the number of stationary points and the extra "inflection" was a typo. Fairly obviously thats just the number of roots of the n-1 (derivative) polynomial so 8.

Inflexion is certainly an a level topic, but reasoning about it (stationary inflexion) in factorised polynomial form is probably beyond what would be expected.

Mmm, well I reported the question to them and questioned it but the girl must have been confused herself because she didn’t reply and went off line lol.

i have found the course quite useful as it’s similar to watching YouTube but it’s interactive and hints at the most random times for you to recall previous knowledge.

i always have the student room to question stuff lol
Reply 14

I just checked out of interest and AQA, Edexcel, OCR (A and MEI) and WJEC all spell it "inflection" in their A level specifications, so I'm assuming the course has just copied from there. Interesting to see the common usage seems to be shifting away from the British spelling, at least within school courses.

(Of course, the question being wrong is a whole other issue!)
Do you have the instruction manual for using desmos lol. I can just about figure out how to add range values for x lol.

Seen this?

https://help.desmos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406040715149-Getting-Started-Desmos-Graphing-Calculator
Reply 17
Original post by Interea
I just checked out of interest and AQA, Edexcel, OCR (A and MEI) and WJEC all spell it "inflection" in their A level specifications, so I'm assuming the course has just copied from there. Interesting to see the common usage seems to be shifting away from the British spelling, at least within school courses.

(Of course, the question being wrong is a whole other issue!)

Perhaps, because inflection sounds less like a gym instructor’s term. Although, it’s unusual for Americans to make a word more difficult/longer in regards to spelling, I still prefer their choice when spelling doughnut lol. Tbf I think most British people use the American spelling as it’s more familiar.

Quick Reply

Latest