The Student Room Group

What is the syllabus for the futher maths gcse this year?

For 2023; also, is it an actual gcse or what is it's actual significance (further maths)?
Reply 1
Original post by doorhandle86
For 2023; also, is it an actual gcse or what is it's actual significance (further maths)?

Assuming this is AQA Further Maths? You can find the syllabus/specification here.
In regard to your second question, Further Maths (AQA) is not I believe a GCSE: it's a 'level 2 qualification' which means that it is equivalent to things like GCSEs and BTECs: it's valued just the same.

FM is generally recommended for those who want to do Maths at A-level, as it breaches that gap. I personally found it helped me with my actual GCSE Maths too, as it served as more practice. It does cover a lot of different stuff to GCSE though, hence why it's only recommended for those who like Maths.
Hope that helps! Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
Assuming this is AQA Further Maths? You can find the syllabus/specification here.
In regard to your second question, Further Maths (AQA) is not I believe a GCSE: it's a 'level 2 qualification' which means that it is equivalent to things like GCSEs and BTECs: it's valued just the same.

FM is generally recommended for those who want to do Maths at A-level, as it breaches that gap. I personally found it helped me with my actual GCSE Maths too, as it served as more practice. It does cover a lot of different stuff to GCSE though, hence why it's only recommended for those who like Maths.

Thank you abundantly for your comprehensive response! :smile:

Are there also specific areas of certain topics that you ought to study for further maths, like you don't have to know all of calculus eg, because the website of aqa further maths just vaguely says number & calculus etc?

Thank you again; best of luck to you in your endeavours too! :biggrin:
Reply 3

Are there also specific areas of certain topics that you ought to study for further maths, like you don't have to know all of calculus eg, because the website of aqa further maths just vaguely says number & calculus etc?

Any time! Yep you're absolutely correct, it covers small parts of different topics like calculus.
I believe in Calculus you cover mainly cover finding the derivative and second derivative of a function, and using this to draw/plot graphs: especially maxima, minima and points of inflection. You don't go much deeper in then that.
In geometry you cover 3d trigonometry and go into things like the sine and cosine rule in more detail (e.g. with algebra), along with circle theorems (in more complexity), etc. You also cover matrices and matrix transformations which is something you might never have seen before (lots of memorising needed for them sadly haha).
Number is generally just the basic stuff, along with some product rule for counting, though also (I don't know if they say this in the spec.) you often have some large proof questions which require you to know mathematical foundations.

I think matrices and calculus are overall the only 'new' things you're learning, but as mentioned you go into a lot more detail with things like trigonometry, equations of lines, etc. I personally found it to be much more problem-solving than GCSE Maths: there's less to memorise and such, but some of the questions need some really careful consideration: e.g. at GCSE, it's quite obvious if a question requires you to complete the square; in FM, it might not be obvious at all, and if you look at the answers/mark scheme you'll often find 4 (ish) alternative ways of doing a question.

Incidentally, if you go to that link in my previous link there's a download on the left which goes into the specification in much more detail. I also recommend https://www.youtube.com/@corbettmaths/playlists and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCStPzCGyt5tlwdpDXffobxA for videos covering the topics if you like that sort of thing :smile:.

Sorry for the length of this haha, I started aiming for a concise response but quickly tailed off. Hopefully this gives you a nice idea of what you look at. Feel free to message again or private message with any other questions :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by {Moss}

FM is generally recommended for those who want to do Maths at A-level, a
s it breaches that gap. I personally found it helped me with my actual GCSE Maths too, as it served as more practice. It does cover a lot of different stuff to GCSE though, hence why it's only recommended for those who like Maths.

No, it's not recommended - where is the evidence for saying that?

It's far better to spend time getting top grades in all GCSEs and completing the Maths GCSE [some schools don't].

We get amazing A level Maths and FMaths esults and don't teach it - it's not needed at all.
Reply 5

Do not bother with level 2 F Maths - focus on all your GCSES. There's no benefit from doing this additional GCSE and indeed it detracts from other subjects.

Btw I teach Maths ...
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
No, it's not recommended - where is the evidence for saying that?

It's far better to spend time getting top grades in all GCSEs and completing the Maths GCSE [some schools don't].

We get amazing A level Maths and FMaths esults and don't teach it - it's not needed at all.

Quite frankly everywhere...
See this list of students saying how they enjoyed it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3566919
If you're good at Maths, and enjoy it, you will most likely be good at Further Maths. Here's some things it helps with:

As mentioned (and you conveniently ignored...) it bridges the gap with A-level Maths/FM, and therefore helps the transition.

It helps students enjoy maths more (many again say they prefer it to GCSE).

It helps with GCSE Maths because it helps to reinforce a lot of the content in it, hence helping to get better grades anyway.

I've known several state schools do this for the best at maths: for all the reasons mentioned. If you're brilliant at Maths GCSE doesn't take much of your time, and Further Maths is another good grade.

Getting top grades is all well and good, but if you want to do Maths at A-level or further, using common sense, being able to put 9 in Further Maths is much better than saying I got a 9 in Food Technology and RE. If you're not doing Maths at A-level, it's quite obvious that it's less necessary: but you could also argue the same for basically all GCSE subjects when you only choose 3 for A-level.

As you stated, it's perfectly common to do brilliantly at A-level without FM: when did I say it wasn't? But it does help, especially increasing passion and letting students know that there is more to Maths, because a lot of student's interest leaves at GCSE level.
Indubitably, the only thing Further Maths does take is time, but if you manage yourself correctly there's no reason that would decrease your other grades. In fact, many schools do it in year 10 from my experience, decreasing time used anyway.

To be brutally honest here, all your posts I see seem to consider only your personal thoughts, sparking argument from the kindest of poster. Your range of evidence, may I add, is 'I'm a teacher'.
I say this not to intrude into OP's thread and cause an argument myself (I will not be replying to further posts from you, incidentally), but rather because I want to show OP and any future people all sides I can, with evidence. Rather I hope this does help those who would consider it.

Sincerely,
Moss
Reply 7
Original post by {Moss}
Quite frankly

It includes topics not even in A level Maths so how helpful is that?! You quote a few examples - there are many asking 'how neessary' who are not enjoying it

If you want to go to a top uni they will look at how many grade 9s you get across the board - yes including Food Tech and RS [what is wrong with those GCSEs anyway?]

There is no A level gap if GCSE is taught well and the full spec covered [many schools avoid some grade 9 topics] - and many schools set prep work for the summer. No-one drops out of A level at my state school because they are ready for A level.

If you want to do Maths A level you are far better doing UKMT problems and other enrichment opportunities not level 2 FMaths.
It includes topics not even in A level Maths so how helpful is that?! You quote a few examples - there are many asking 'how neessary' who are not enjoying it

If you want to go to a top uni they will look at how many grade 9s you get across the board - yes including Food Tech and RS [what is wrong with those GCSEs anyway?]

There is no A level gap if GCSE is taught well and the full spec covered [many schools avoid some grade 9 topics] - and many schools set prep work for the summer. No-one drops out of A level at my state school because they are ready for A level.

If you want to do Maths A level you are far better doing UKMT problems and other enrichment opportunities not level 2 FMaths.

Hi, I'm starting gcse fm soon and I was wondering if the topics that aren't in a level maths, but are in gcse fm would be helpful if I was considering a maths degree?
Reply 9
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hi, I'm starting gcse fm soon and I was wondering if the topics that aren't in a level maths, but are in gcse fm would be helpful if I was considering a maths degree?

Matrices for a start ..

Honestly we get students into Oxbridge every year without level 2 FMaths but with great grades for GCSE and A level. You can show more 'passion' for reading outside exam specs rather than doing more Maths exams.
Reply 10
Original post by {Moss}
Any time! Yep you're absolutely correct, it covers small parts of different topics like calculus.
I believe in Calculus you cover mainly cover finding the derivative and second derivative of a function, and using this to draw/plot graphs: especially maxima, minima and points of inflection. You don't go much deeper in then that.
In geometry you cover 3d trigonometry and go into things like the sine and cosine rule in more detail (e.g. with algebra), along with circle theorems (in more complexity), etc. You also cover matrices and matrix transformations which is something you might never have seen before (lots of memorising needed for them sadly haha).
Number is generally just the basic stuff, along with some product rule for counting, though also (I don't know if they say this in the spec.) you often have some large proof questions which require you to know mathematical foundations.

I think matrices and calculus are overall the only 'new' things you're learning, but as mentioned you go into a lot more detail with things like trigonometry, equations of lines, etc. I personally found it to be much more problem-solving than GCSE Maths: there's less to memorise and such, but some of the questions need some really careful consideration: e.g. at GCSE, it's quite obvious if a question requires you to complete the square; in FM, it might not be obvious at all, and if you look at the answers/mark scheme you'll often find 4 (ish) alternative ways of doing a question.

Incidentally, if you go to that link in my previous link there's a download on the left which goes into the specification in much more detail. I also recommend https://www.youtube.com/@corbettmaths/playlists and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCStPzCGyt5tlwdpDXffobxA for videos covering the topics if you like that sort of thing :smile:.

Sorry for the length of this haha, I started aiming for a concise response but quickly tailed off. Hopefully this gives you a nice idea of what you look at. Feel free to message again or private message with any other questions :biggrin:

Thank you immensely!! No problem for the length :smile:
Reply 11
Matrices for a start ..

Honestly we get students into Oxbridge every year without level 2 FMaths but with great grades for GCSE and A level. You can show more 'passion' for reading outside exam specs rather than doing more Maths exams.

How could you show that 'passion'?
How could you show that 'passion'?

UKMT challenges, submitting answers to NRICH problems [ https://nrich.maths.org/7503 and https://nrich.maths.org/secondary].

Reading - start with books by Rob Eastaway 'Why do buses come in threes?' or another title that grabs you https://robeastaway.com/books

Podcasts

Talk to your teacher - what do they recommend. We have a small collection of books we loan.
Reply 13
UKMT challenges, submitting answers to NRICH problems [ https://nrich.maths.org/7503 and https://nrich.maths.org/secondary].

Reading - start with books by Rob Eastaway 'Why do buses come in threes?' or another title that grabs you https://robeastaway.com/books

Podcasts

Talk to your teacher - what do they recommend. We have a small collection of books we loan.

Thank you so much for these resources! I want to also ask you, assuming that you work in an Oxbridge uni, what'd make you stand out as an applicant; I plan to go down the route of medicine there
Thank you so much for these resources! I want to also ask you, assuming that you work in an Oxbridge uni, what'd make you stand out as an applicant; I plan to go down the route of medicine there

I teach in a state selective school so my experience is supporting students to get into the university of their choice. From my experience the ones that get accepted into Oxbridge persevere when they get stuck, learn from mistakes and are genuinely fascinated by maths ie they pursue ideas. They often ask questions and follow-up on lessons. Some can be identified in Year 7 but others 'grow' into Maths [often all-rounders] and shine in later years.

Quick Reply

Latest