The Student Room Group

Selecting breakdown cover

Hi Folks

I have been with the RAC for several years and the premium for this year has gone up to £215.

This covers 2 people which includes the following benefits:

Legal cover, Roadside assistance, At Home assistance, Recovery, Onward Travel, Courtesy Car, Battery Replacement, Tyre Replacement, Key replacement, European Breakdown.

Do you think this is a fair price compared to the benefits or should I go elsewhere? Thanks in advance.
Original post by geek84
Hi Folks

I have been with the RAC for several years and the premium for this year has gone up to £215.

Legal cover, Roadside assistance, At Home assistance, Recovery, Onward Travel, Courtesy Car, Battery Replacement, Tyre Replacement, Key replacement, European Breakdown.

Do you think this is a fair price compared to the benefits or should I go elsewhere? Thanks in advance.

A little high, but not extortionate.

I am with the AA and it's just gone up to 186 for a similar package but without the onward travel, (was 160 last year):

Home cover, legal assistance, European breakdown cover x 3 times a year, cover for lost/stolen keys.
Reply 2
Thanks

Any further advise greatly appreciated.
It would be best to have a look around either directly on company websites or comparison websites to see what you can get as it might be cheaper. You could always phone the current provider and see whether they can get it down some more, if get a quote somewhere else cheaper you could use this to get them to try and match the price or go lower. Looking around doesn't hurt and you can get a better idea of what roughly is the average price
Original post by geek84
Hi Folks

It does seem a little high.
Id have a look online at other breakdown companies (e.g. greenflag, AA etc) and see what price they can offer for the same thing.
Also phone up RAC and see if they can do any better on the price as you are a loyal customer (bigger companies dont seem to reward loyalty as much as they should).
Also look online at the RAC's website. If the price online as as new customer is cheaper than the price you have been quoted (for the same thing) then phone them up and ask them to match it.
Reply 5
Many thanks for your advise, folks.

Any further advise greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending