The Student Room Group

Cancelled car insurance

Hi there

I’ve been trying to look at where the records of a cancelled car insurance policy are kept. On google, some website say it would be on the cue database. However, having checked on the cue website itself they say this:

“CUE is a central database of motor, home and personal injury/industrial illness incidents reported to insurance companies which may or may not have given rise to a claim. Information held on CUE is a powerful weapon in the fight against fraud.

CUE was established in 1994 to help fight insurance fraud. By enabling insurers to access details of incidents, it makes it harder to successfully commit claims fraud or misrepresent claims history. Ultimately, this helps to keep down the cost of insurance for honest policyholders.”

No where does it talk about cancelled policies. My friend got his policy cancelled last year because he missed a payment. He was on holiday and he hadn’t realised he was on an auto renewal for his policy.

So my question is….where exactly are cancelled policies records kept (if they are kept at all) and where is the evidence for this.
Reply 1
Anyone?
That sounds like the sort of information they don't publish.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
That sounds like the sort of information they don't publish.

Yea that’s what I thought. I was trying to find out where cancelled policies are recorded and one website says it’s on the cue database. However, as you can see when you go on the cue website they don’t mention cancelled policies. They only mention motor incidents reported to insurance companies which may or may not have given rise to a claim. Can you find anything else?
I'd be a bit dubious as to whether this officially counted as a cancellation. The letter or notifcation may have used that term but really it's just the customer electing not to renew.

Caveat: not an insurance expert.
Original post by Admit-One
I'd be a bit dubious as to whether this officially counted as a cancellation. The letter or notifcation may have used that term but really it's just the customer electing not to renew.

Caveat: not an insurance expert.

Yeah, my worry would be if the policy has auto renewed and then they've cancelled it due to non payment. Rather than the renewal just not being taken up and the insurance 'ending' rather than cancelled without a new policy starting, but same, I'm just guessing really.
Yeah, my worry would be if the policy has auto renewed and then they've cancelled it due to non payment. Rather than the renewal just not being taken up and the insurance 'ending' rather than cancelled without a new policy starting, but same, I'm just guessing really.

Yes, good point, it would depend on the timings.
Reply 7
Yes but my original point was where exactly are these cancelled policies recorded if there is no claim made that resulted in the cancellation.
Original post by Fightstar123
Yes but my original point was where exactly are these cancelled policies recorded if there is no claim made that resulted in the cancellation.

We're aware of that, but it's not info random people are likely to have. If it was me I'd try making a subject access request to the Motor Insurance Bureau place
Reply 9
We're aware of that, but it's not info random people are likely to have. If it was me I'd try making a subject access request to the Motor Insurance Bureau place

Yep I’ve made a subject access request to the mib and also the cue database. When I get a result I will update you guys. This is something everyone should know. In the meantime, if anyone else here has any info please let us know. Apparently it can take up to a month for them to give me the information.
Any update?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending