The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How do Durham allocate places

How do Durham university allocate its prospective student to its many colleges. Or, do you apply to the college when an offer is made? I am due to start year 12, so knowing this will help me aid in my selection prices. I am a BAME and am interested in Exeter and Durham to hopefully study Finance.
Original post by Hospitality
How do Durham university allocate its prospective student to its many colleges. Or, do you apply to the college when an offer is made? I am due to start year 12, so knowing this will help me aid in my selection prices. I am a BAME and am interested in Exeter and Durham to hopefully study Finance.

See here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/how-to-apply/durhams-colleges-and-your-application/

When you get an offer you can rank college choices and then will be assigned to one when they consider how everyone has ranked them. Some are a lot more oversubscribed than others - University College I gather seems to have the most people ranking it 1st normally and obviously can't accommodate everyone, so a lot who rank that 1st may end up at a different college they ranked. That said I think there are good reasons to not want to rank University College - I understand students have to share rooms (not flats, rooms) in first year at least, which may not be to everyone's taste!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Hospitality

Hiya

Glad to know you're considering Durham. The link mentioned above is really helpful and will give you a full breakdown of the process. But briefly, you don't have to fill out your college choices in your UCAS application. Once you send it off and if you receive a conditional offer, you'll get a link from the university asking you to rank the colleges in order of your preference from 1 to 17. Colleges are provisionally allocated before results day and are usually confirmed after results day.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest