The Student Room Group

Will paying £1,900 a year for insurance as a new 21 year old driver be a lot?

So I have been looking around and the prices I have found based on a few cars I have liked came to an insurance premium of around £1,900 to £2,000, so are these premiums so much for a new 21 year old driver? thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Amin7
So I have been looking around and the prices I have found based on a few cars I have liked came to an insurance premium of around £1,900 to £2,000, so are these premiums so much for a new 21 year old driver? thanks in advance

They are high - what cars and are you adding a parent as an additional driver?
Original post by Amin7

That is a bit high (at 21, you are a bit older than 17/18 year old new drivers). You might get it a bit less. But as a new driver you arent likely to get it millions less.
Have you added parents as named drivers to bring the price down?
Also look at comparison sites, as well as the companies directly.
Reply 3
PHONE THE INSURERS UP!

Don't just use comparison sites as you can normally knock a few hundred off by asking nicely on the phone. I managed to get a quote this year down from 1200 on a comparison site to 700 when i phoned:smile:

First year of driving for me was 1500 with a blackbox
Reply 4
First year for 18yr old on mini one was £1900,nobody wanted to know we ended up with some company called sabre. The second year after one year bonus more insurance companies would quote and we managed to half the premium.

Its no claims bonus you need, unfortunately they absolutely hammer young drivers. Some quotes are beyond ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending