The Student Room Group

I accidentally ran a red light

I accidentally ran a red light and now i'm worried about getting points. I've checked there wasn't a red light camera and i did stop at the red light originally but since it was a roundabout with traffic lights, I misread another set of traffic lights as being my ones so i decided to set off, it sucks too since a few seconds later my lights went green. Someone proceeded to flip me off (rightfully) Only anxious about being caught on a dashcam and someone deciding to report it, am i being too dramatic? Any reassurance appreciated :smile: I only passed in november
Original post by HelloWorld782
I accidentally ran a red light and now i'm worried about getting points. I've checked there wasn't a red light camera and i did stop at the red light originally but since it was a roundabout with traffic lights, I misread another set of traffic lights as being my ones so i decided to set off, it sucks too since a few seconds later my lights went green. Someone proceeded to flip me off (rightfully) Only anxious about being caught on a dashcam and someone deciding to report it, am i being too dramatic? Any reassurance appreciated :smile: I only passed in november

Someone else's dash cam footage will only show their view of the road and cannot be used as evidence that you ran a red light (as it won't show what colour your set of lights was).

Also, the chances of them bothering to report it to the police are very small anyway. So relax; you'll be fine.
Reply 2
It's all too common these days so I don't think you have anything to worry about. If nothing official comes through the post after 14 days you are safe. I appreciate you knew the colour afterwards, but once you are over the solid white stop line you are no longer bound by the traffic light signal.
Reply 3
I once accidentally did it too. Fortunately for me, my temporary lack of awareness of my right to proceed wasn't picked up by the law. If it had been, the law is very clear:
I'd have got 3 points on my licence plus a fine of between 100 and 1000 pounds, depending on income. Most people are fined 100 pounds.
Most traffic lights don't have cameras to assess light jumpers or speed in them. That doesn't mean that a member of the public might not have decided to contact the police about the incident. It's up to the police how they decide to use that information - if they wanted to, they could.check any nearby CCTV at the time, or dashcam footage from the complainant. Bearing in mind that it's pure luck if a member of public not personally affected by your misdemeanour decides to report it, the police might not do anything with the information.

This relatively minor penalty can change in to much higher penalty if the law finds evidence that:

An accident to someone other than the driver occurred as a result (careless or dangerous driving). If only the driver's passengers are injured, careless or dangerous driving still applies.

The driver was speeding.

The light had been on red for a long time.

I imagine that the law, if doing its job to the fullest it works within, might then check any CCTV it has of any earlier or later driving by that car that day. It might not affect the individual penalty/penalties in most cases but if a pattern emerges of flouting the law, it could be used as evidence if an accident occurred.

There are, unfortunately, a significant number of people who seem to believe that's it's OK (because they'll generally get away with it) to go through if the light has only just changed from yellow to red. Particularly at temporary traffic lights. Due to their route not necessarily being clear, these cars can sometimes hamper traffic. Plus, their perception of time can make it a dangerous move. It's certainly annoying.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Picnicl
I once accidentally did it too. Fortunately for me, my temporary lack of awareness of my right to proceed wasn't picked up by the law. If it had been, the law is very clear:
I'd have got 3 points on my licence plus a fine of between 100 and 1000 pounds, depending on income. Most people are fined 100 pounds.
Most traffic lights don't have cameras to assess light jumpers or speed in them. That doesn't mean that a member of the public might not have decided to contact the police about the incident. It's up to the police how they decide to use that information - if they wanted to, they could.check any nearby CCTV at the time, or dashcam footage from the complainant. Bearing in mind that it's pure luck if a member of public not personally affected by your misdemeanour decides to report it, the police might not do anything with the information.

This relatively minor penalty can change in to much higher penalty if the law finds evidence that:

An accident to someone other than the driver occurred as a result (careless or dangerous driving). If only the driver's passengers are injured, careless or dangerous driving still applies.

The driver was speeding.

I imagine that the law, if doing its job to the fullest it works within, might then check any CCTV it has of any earlier or later driving by that car that day. It might not affect the individual penalty/penalties in most cases but if a pattern emerges of flouting the law, it could be used as evidence if an accident occurred.

There are, unfortunately, a significant number of people who seem to believe that's it's OK (because they'll generally get away with it) to go through if the light has only just changed from yellow to red. Particularly at temporary traffic lights. Due to their route not necessarily being clear, these cars can sometimes hamper traffic. Plus, their perception of time can make it a dangerous move. It's certainly annoying.

Whilst I would tend to agree with some of what you have said there is a shocking lack of enforcement in relation to traffic offences right now. You reach a point where you see so many drivers keep going through amber traffic signals, through red in the queues of traffic moving forwards. Safety in numbers, and what is the opposing traffic going to do? Yes - stop!

So you reach a point where nothing is unbelievable anymore, it is becoming a norm and drivers don't care. Much as there is lawlessness in shoplifting. Once the rot starts and everyone sees there is no enforcement and everyone and their dog doing what they like, everyone else thinks - well if its good enough for them, it's good enough for me too so why bother?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttly
Original post by Picnicl

The driver was speeding.

Whilst I would tend to agree with some of what you have said there is a shocking lack of enforcement in relation to traffic offences right now. You reach a point where you see so many drivers keep going through amber traffic signals, through red in the queues of traffic moving forwards. Safety in numbers, and what is the opposing traffic going to do? Yes - stop!

So you reach a point where nothing is unbelievable anymore, it is becoming a norm and drivers don't care. Much as there is lawlessness in shoplifting. Once the rot starts and everyone sees there is no enforcement and everyone and their dog doing what they like, everyone else thinks - well if its good enough for them, it's good enough for me too so why bother?

definitely agree there should be more enforcement since people intentionally run the red lights and always get people pressuring me to speed up even though i’m at the limit already, literally had an aggressive driver go on the pavement to overtake me before because they’re too impatient. driving these days is definitely scarier than before since 90% of drivers are self entitled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending