The Student Room Group

null

null
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by lemon_terapin
I applied for Modern Foreign Languages, and got unconditional offers from all three of my top-choice universities. I also got an offer from my ‘guaranteed’ university and that’s where I assumed I’d be studying this year.

I didn't expect to be in this position; getting offers from Durham, Leeds, and Sheffield seemed completely unattainable, and when I applied I guess I was thinking “If I don’t try, I’ll never know”. Well, now I know, and I don’t know what to do.

With the deadline for making a decision looming in just three days, I'm at a loss about where to go from here. I’ve been awake for thirty-three hours trying to make a decision. Each university fulfils my personal criteria, and they’re all highly regarded with excellent facilities and great staff.

Student feedback suggests that Sheffield and Leeds outperform Durham in MFL, which was a bit of a surprise. I’m familiar with Sheffield, which is conveniently located the perfect distance from home and has a city that I quite like. Its proximity to the countryside is a significant advantage, and the staff and facilities strike me as being some of the best in the UK. I also like that they prioritise a combination of academic excellence and personal growth, whereas Durham is maybe a bit more focussed on ‘academic perfection’.

In contrast, Leeds offers all the facilities I could wish for and, though it is a bit further from home, it is still relatively accessible despite the higher train fares. It has an attractive curriculum, is well-respected, and its staff are friendly. It’s a nice city and probably has the best curriculum (by a very fine margin). Much like Sheffield, it also provides great access to outdoor space and countryside.

Durham carries a prestigious reputation, undoubtedly the most notable of the three. It's situated in a beautiful location with good travel links and not too far from all the facilities I need. Noteworthy is its excellent student-to-staff ratio, which will be crucial for accessing additional help and resources throughout my degree. I'm likely to need more help than on average, due to having health issues. However, Durham’s course is relatively new, starting just five years ago. In addition, the ridiculous train fares would limit me to travelling home only once or twice a year. It’s a significant consideration, as I would ideally like to spend every other weekend at home during my first year (there are personal/health reasons for this).

On the other hand, Durham boasts the highest graduate salaries and offers exceptional networking opportunities factors that could potentially be game-changers in the future, particularly if I choose to work in government or in a high-ranking position within a large company. That’s the expected career path for my specific degree, and though I actually have a much different one in mind, it would still be very useful to have those contacts.

One major concern I have is the accommodation situation. I have a physical disability, and I need accessible space - however, it seems like most options are unsuitable, with the situation being most challenging at Durham: I couldn’t find a single place that met all my needs and was within budget.

Each university's course content appeals to me, though there's less student feedback available from Durham compared to Sheffield or Leeds. They’re all Russell Group, for the small benefit that brings, and each one has links to the university I wish to attend during my year abroad.

From my perspective, there’s no frontrunner. Any advice or suggestions would be very gladly received.

Hi @lemon_terapin

Congrats on your offers!

Although I study at BCU, I was in a similar situation when applying last year. I had a few universities to choose, with Birmingham being the furthest away, and I was stuck with where to choose.

Here’s some advice that might help…
I knew deep down that I wanted to study at BCU, but the main thing hindering my decision was how far away it was from home. Studying here means I’m about 3 hours from home, so I can appreciate you considering travelling factors. Although I’ve had to negotiate travel costs and long commutes, this hasn’t made me regret my decision to move further away, though it does take some planning to get the best train fares and to avoid rail strikes.
I’m originally from an area close to Leeds, so I can vouch for the city and say it’s a great student location. There’s always lots to see and do, while also not being too overwhelming. There’s lots of transport links and it’s heavily populated with students so I’m sure it would be a great place to study.

I’ve also been to Durham a few times and it’s a lovely city, again with lots going on, although I personally prefer a more urban city environment like Leeds or Birmingham.

As the courses all seem appealing, maybe you could look at the universities on a wider scale, considering the societies they offer, what opportunities/scholarships/programs they offer, and the things available outside of your studies, and if these appeal to you. You could also take a look at the university alumni and see where they are now, and if their achievements align with your goals, and whether the university helped with their success.

As you’ve mentioned, accommodation is an important factor too. If Durham isn’t offering a suitable accommodation, maybe it’s not got everything you’re looking for in a university. My advice would be to make sure you’re happy with your accommodation decision, as you will spend a lot of time there and want to feel safe and comfortable. Maybe one of the unis is a front runner in terms of accommodation?

All three universities are a good choice so no matter which you choose, you will no doubt be successful. Try not to stress about which one you choose, especially after you’ve made your decision, as you will find your way once you get started and will enjoy your time at uni no matter which one you pick.
Hope this helps with your decision and good luck!

Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by lemon_terapin
Thank you Emily, that was a very helpful and insightful reply.
Following your suggestions, I've managed to gather my thoughts a bit. Weighing up all factors, including accommodation, societies, location, and travel, it seems like Leeds stands out from the others by a small margin. I suppose, should things not work out at Leeds, I can always apply to transfer or pause my studies.
I'm very grateful for your help, and thank you for helping me come to a decision!

Hi @lemon_terapin

I'm glad I could help!

I think you've made a good choice, but all three are great unis and I'm sure they would have all worked out. And of course, in the worst case scenario, you can always find a way to change courses/accommodation/unis if you really didn't get on well in Leeds.

Best of luck for starting in September!
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending