The Student Room Group

Making Friends at Uni :)

Hey everyone!!
Congrats on your uni offers!!
I’m so excited to start and meet new people! But tbh I’m a bit nervous about making friends since it’s a London uni and I’ve heard that there isn’t much of a campus community…Does anyone have any advice on this? Thank you :smile:
Hi @CocoLemon313 Congratulations on your university offer!:h:

London can have a different university vibe than other universities outside of London with potentially bigger campuses. However, London is a great place to be. I can understand how moving to a new place and environment can be a little scary but most universities will have clubs and societies which you can join once you start university which is one of the ways they foster a strong community and you can meet new people who might be feeling the exact same way as you.

They will also likely have a Welcome Week/Freshers were alot of people make their first friends at uni- this can be really fun and exciting.

If you are also moving into accommodations this is also another way people moving to London meet new people and make friends. There's also a lot to do around London, a lot of cheap and fun options to go out to the cinema, bowling, eating etc. Being proactive in setting up outings with new people you meet is also another great way to make friends and create your own community.

Do you mind me asking what university you've been offered a place at?

Almasi, Ravensbourne University London, Alumna
Original post by CocoLemon313
Hey everyone!!
I’m so excited to start and meet new people! But tbh I’m a bit nervous about making friends since it’s a London uni and I’ve heard that there isn’t much of a campus community…Does anyone have any advice on this? Thank you :smile:

Hi there,

Congratulations on your university place! You should be very proud of yourself. I think the best way that I made friends in uni was through societies. I joined all of the academic societies relating to my course as well as keeping up with any sports and hobbies. I found that it was really useful as a way to meet people with similar interests to me. I would definitely recommend doing that when you start in September.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Original post by CocoLemon313
Hey everyone!!

Hey @CocoLemon313, how are you? :smile:

Huge congrats on your uni offer, that's fab!!

It's great to hear you're excited to meet new people, and don't worry about the nerves, they are completely normal and everyone will be in the same boat. I'd definitely say to join clubs and societies so you're around like minded people, that way it helps make conversation that bit easier :smile:

You could look into volunteering opportunities, part-time work on campus, get involved in being a student ambassador as ways of meeting new people too!

Many uni's have social media groups where you can start chatting to your fellow coursemates before you start too!

Just be open and approachable, smile, be friendly and try make conversation with people you meet. I'm sure you'll make some incredible friendships!

Good luck with everything :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending