The Student Room Group

how to make friends at uni?

my first day of uni is on monday and i’m worried if i’ll even make friends as i’m quite introverted (only had two close friends in sixth from). i also will be commuting, will this effect my chances of forming friendships? what are some ways i can make friends at uni?
im also having the same problem
Join a few societies. Most unis have at least a hundred. Look up the societies in your uni now online and in freshers week join them. You will get instant friend groups with people who also have an interest in Chess/reading/Harry Potter etc.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
im also having the same problem

its horrible isn’t it. idk about you but i don’t really like parties or big social events so i feel like i’ll be so left out..
Try to make friends with the people who are doing the same course as you. I know it's difficult, but there are some really friendly and openly nice people at university. I was very introverted at uni and yet I got along well with many people on my course. I know it may not be the same for you, but I think if you put yourself out there and mingle with those people who have similar interests and ideals as yourself, you'll easily make friends.
Reply 5
Original post by mike23mike
Join a few societies. Most unis have at least a hundred. Look up the societies in your uni now online and in freshers week join them. You will get instant friend groups with people who also have an interest in Chess/reading/Harry Potter etc.

will the fact that i commute make me left out of society events?
its horrible isn’t it. idk about you but i don’t really like parties or big social events so i feel like i’ll be so left out..

I think that depends on your mentality heading into a big social event. If you go in there thinking positive and wanting to engage you will do so, but if you turn up nervous and uncertain then you'll struggle unless there's someone there who can get you out of your shell.
Reply 7
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
Try to make friends with the people who are doing the same course as you. I know it's difficult, but there are some really friendly and openly nice people at university. I was very introverted at uni and yet I got along well with many people on my course. I know it may not be the same for you, but I think if you put yourself out there and mingle with those people who have similar interests and ideals as yourself, you'll easily make friends.

yeah true i think the best way to make friends is definitely through the course and it will also make any group work and stuff way easier. hopefully it will be easy to have a few things in common since i’ll be studying the same thing as them
Reply 8
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I think that depends on your mentality heading into a big social event. If you go in there thinking positive and wanting to engage you will do so, but if you turn up nervous and uncertain then you'll struggle unless there's someone there who can get you out of your shell.

i wouldn’t want to be at a big event all by myself i’d prefer to go with one other person at least i feel like that would help a lot
i wouldn’t want to be at a big event all by myself i’d prefer to go with one other person at least i feel like that would help a lot

Yeah, if you have a more extroverted friend they should help you bring the best out of you during a party or event.
will the fact that i commute make me left out of society events?

Most societies meet early evening (except the Vampire Appreciation Society) so you just need to catch a later train home.

You may need to stay over at a Travelodge a couple of times. Thus if the book club is having a Christmas bash then you wont want to miss out so either arrange to sleep on someone's floor or book into a Travelodge.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending