The Student Room Group

jact greek summer school 2023

hi! i was just wondering if anyone’s going to bryanston this year - it’s my first year going and i’m not entirely sure what to expect, just wanted to meet any classicists who are going! :smile:
Reply 1
ahh hey hello! also my first time going, i’m as stressed as i am excited. what bit of the summer school are you going for, beginners / intermediate / advanced?
Reply 2
Original post by mousespine
ahh hey hello! also my first time going, i’m as stressed as i am excited. what bit of the summer school are you going for, beginners / intermediate / advanced?

ahh nice to meet someone else! i’m definitely also quite stressed, it sounds pretty intense. i’m going for the beginner as i’ve never learnt greek before, only latin. what about you?
Reply 3
Original post by whyhello
ahh nice to meet someone else! i’m definitely also quite stressed, it sounds pretty intense. i’m going for the beginner as i’ve never learnt greek before, only latin. what about you?

i’m going advanced but i’m terrified it’s going to be all eton folks who eat and breathe greek ToT my greek is a bit rough ngl

also the washing facilities?? “limited”, does that mean you get like one laundry in total or none at all? very important thing to stress about ofc ofc

how have you been getting along with the alphabet?
Reply 4
Original post by mousespine
i’m going advanced but i’m terrified it’s going to be all eton folks who eat and breathe greek ToT my greek is a bit rough ngl

also the washing facilities?? “limited”, does that mean you get like one laundry in total or none at all? very important thing to stress about ofc ofc

how have you been getting along with the alphabet?

agh no exactly i’m so stressed that everyone there is going to be really posh and fluent in greek. someone i know who went a few years ago said they met someone who kept a diary in ancient greek so their parents couldn’t read it 😭 i don’t think i’d be able to deal with those kinds of people, but thankfully since i’m in beginners i probably won’t meet many like that. as for your greek being rough i wouldn’t worry, i imagine most people are in the same boat - my friend is also coming on the course this year for the first time, and she’s doing advanced too, she’s also very worried that her greek is rough so it sounds like you’re not the only one who’s feeling like that :smile:

no i completely get you about the washing facilities, it is all i’ve been thinking about?? it’s really unclear, and i have no idea how i’m going to pack enough for two weeks with no washing 😭

i’m already somewhat familiar with the alphabet since i did do a tiny bit of greek a few years ago - we didn’t really get beyond the alphabet though. i’m pretty sure i’ve forgotten most of it though, so my plan is to relearn it on the train ride there haha
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
[QUOTE="whyhello;98642502"]hi! i was just wondering if anyone’s going to bryanston this year - it’s my first year going and i’m not entirely sure what to expect, just wanted to meet any classicists who are going! :smile:[/QUOTE

hiya i’m going too!!! it’s also my first time, although i did go to the latin one last year- not sure how similar it will be?
Reply 6
Original post by rosecg25
Original post by whyhello
hi! i was just wondering if anyone’s going to bryanston this year - it’s my first year going and i’m not entirely sure what to expect, just wanted to meet any classicists who are going! :smile:[/QUOTE

hiya i’m going too!!! it’s also my first time, although i did go to the latin one last year- not sure how similar it will be?

ahh cool! did you enjoy the latin one? also are you going for beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending