The Student Room Group

are these gcses good for medicine?

Hello,
I have achieved these grades. Bare in mind that I did resit a few to improve my grades. I am currently in year 13 and my A level predicted grades are looking good.

These are my current GCSE grades right now but they weren't like this when I first sat them:

English Language - 7
English Literature - 9
German - 5
RE- 6
Geography - 6
Maths - 8 (Resat 2 times, first resit was a 5 in november 2022 and second was 8 in summer 2023)
Biology - 9 (resat in summer 2023, previously had a 6)
Chemistry - 9 (resat in summer 2023, previously had a 6)
Physics - 9 (resat insummer 2023, previously had a 6)
Computer Science -9 (resat in summer 2023, previously had a 5)

I had quite a rollercoaster but my question is do universities/employers consider resat gcses? Especially maths I'm worried with because I resat it two times. Will it affect my chances of getting into medical school in the uk even if I get good a levels?

Thank you
Not all medical schools score GCSEs and quite a few (e.g. Imperial and UCL) just require minimum grades in English language and maths (sometimes science as well). I would recommend focusing on medical schools with minimum grade requirements rather than those that score GCSEs formally and are quite GCSE heavy as a result (e.g. Cardiff and Oxford).

In terms of resits I think usually GCSE resits aren't much of an issue? As long as you meet the minimum grade requirements for those that have them. Perhaps for the GCSE heavy medical schools they might consider if they're resits more but as above, would recommend avoiding those anyway.

If you go into medicine your GCSEs and A-levels will cease to be meaningful once you earn the medical degree, at present. The only provider of graduate medical training posts is the NHS and they don't score any of that. Foundation post allocation is not more or less random I gather as well and I don't even think they factor in your medical school decile for that! Specialty recruitment might consider your medical school decile but GCSEs and A-levels are irrelevant. I seriously doubt they would matter if you are moving to another country to practice medicine either (although if that's the goal you should just aim to medicine in that country to start with usually!).

Outside of medicine also, just for general reference, GCSEs are basically meaningless if you have passed maths and English normally, and most graduate jobs don't have A-level requirements or cut-offs. It's just a handful of e.g. "top" law firms and in investment banking and such which might expect applicants to have achieved e.g. AAB at first attempt or something minimum. GCSEs are still a non-factor if you passed English and maths.
Original post by artful_lounger
Not all medical schools score GCSEs and quite a few (e.g. Imperial and UCL) just require minimum grades in English language and maths (sometimes science as well). I would recommend focusing on medical schools with minimum grade requirements rather than those that score GCSEs formally and are quite GCSE heavy as a result (e.g. Cardiff and Oxford).

In terms of resits I think usually GCSE resits aren't much of an issue? As long as you meet the minimum grade requirements for those that have them. Perhaps for the GCSE heavy medical schools they might consider if they're resits more but as above, would recommend avoiding those anyway.

If you go into medicine your GCSEs and A-levels will cease to be meaningful once you earn the medical degree, at present. The only provider of graduate medical training posts is the NHS and they don't score any of that. Foundation post allocation is not more or less random I gather as well and I don't even think they factor in your medical school decile for that! Specialty recruitment might consider your medical school decile but GCSEs and A-levels are irrelevant. I seriously doubt they would matter if you are moving to another country to practice medicine either (although if that's the goal you should just aim to medicine in that country to start with usually!).

Outside of medicine also, just for general reference, GCSEs are basically meaningless if you have passed maths and English normally, and most graduate jobs don't have A-level requirements or cut-offs. It's just a handful of e.g. "top" law firms and in investment banking and such which might expect applicants to have achieved e.g. AAB at first attempt or something minimum. GCSEs are still a non-factor if you passed English and maths.

So would you say the ones that score GCSEs highly are only for those who achieved all 8s and 9s?
Original post by aspiring_med1
So would you say the ones that score GCSEs highly are only for those who achieved all 8s and 9s?

More that in order to maximise your chances of getting an interview and hence offer, it is pragmatic to avoid those if you don't have all (or mostly) 8s and 9s. Invariably some do get in without that for some of the GCSE heavy medical schools, but it's a big gamble for no real benefit (remember that where you go to medical school doesn't matter in the long run - the NHS is the only provider of postgraduate medical training posts and blinds recruiters to your medical school to ensure there is no bias, as they follow the GMC view that all UK medical schools are equal!). Successfully applying to medicine is all about applying tactically to those you have the strongest profile for - and recognising that all medical schools have different shortlisting methodologies and someone that would be a very strong applicant to one medical school may not be a strong applicant for another.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest